Author Topic: Mackin Family  (Read 23068 times)

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
Re: Mackin Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 December 08 22:13 GMT (UK) »
hi,

cullyhanna is a small village in south armagh,it is part of creggan parish. there are also two townlands called cullyhanna big and cullyhanna little.the townland that kingskerswell mentioned is also part of creggan.

i have a feeling that mackin's hill would be a local term that you wont find on any map but also think you might find the answer with the creggan history society;

http://www.cregganhistory.co.uk/

did you ever contact them to find out if they knew mackin's hill? i'm only just noticing that there are a couple of threads about the mackins from cullyhanna so i'm probably just repeating what you have already been told.

tony

Offline paulmckeown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 January 11 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am searching for Peter Mc Keown my great great grandfather listed as husbands father at my great grandfathers wedding in in 1902 witness is a stephen mackin.  He was from Dorsey sometimes spelt dorsy nr cullyhanna in creggan parish in cullyhanna little.  Mckeown drifts around in spelling to mckeon and mckeowne but aware that sometimes it can be written mackin as well, going on this the mckeowns of late 1800's arround dorsey do not appear at all in 1864 griffiths but suddenly there are mackins with the same first names... possible coincidence???? or ???

Moderator's Note- spearate thread on McKeowns if you can help with more details-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,507365.msg3639042.html

Offline lincee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 February 13 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello There - I have a Mary Mackin (plus various spellings of surname) who married Thomas Carroll in about 1837 Ireland.  Thomas was aged about 19 when he married Mary.  When Thomas Carroll died in Gundagai, New South Wales Australia in 1878 he was aged 60 years and had been in New South Wales for about 36 years.  Unfortunately I have not been able to confirm Mary's death to date and when Thomas and Mary and possible children born in Ireland arrived in Australia.  Children born in New South Wales were Thomas born 1845 (died 1862), Edmund/Edward born 1849, Patrick born 1852, Mary C born 1855.  There was also a son James (no birth found in New South Wales) living and one unknown female living at the time of Thomas Carroll's death.  Two  sons and two daughters were also deceased at the time of Thomas's death.  Unfortunatley this is very sketchy information but would appreciate any assistance.

Kind regards
Lincee

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 February 13 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corky44,

There is a Stevenson Mackin who was convicted at Armagh Assizes in 1835 for Larceny. There is also a John Mackin (probably Muckian) who was convicted at Armagh Assizes in 1835 for Rape.

This is the link to view the records: http://lurgan-ancestry.co.uk/index.php/convicts-released-from-armagh-countygaol-1835-1839/

Regards,
Andy.
lurgan-ancestry.co.uk, Lurgan and the McElroy family from Lurgan.

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 February 13 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corky,

There is a Thomas Mackin and Bernard Mackin listed as School Teachers in Newtownhamilton, Co. Armagh, in 1864.

A Joseph Mackin is also listed as a teacher in Carrickrovaddy School (Newtownhamilton).

I have not published the document yet so unfortunately I cannot send you any links.
lurgan-ancestry.co.uk, Lurgan and the McElroy family from Lurgan.

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 October 16 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi First the name I'm getting is spelt Macken. Maggie Macken born 8-10-1891 father James (a farmer) mother Bridget Macken nee Quinn. As stated Dorsey is in Cullyhanna. Hope this helps.

Mackers

Offline Nugil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 October 16 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hello - Would anyone know of the Mackin family who lived in Tandragee, NI? An Annie Mackin who married into the Nugent family
Thank you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 October 16 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hello - Would anyone know of the Mackin family who lived in Tandragee, NI? An Annie Mackin who married into the Nugent family
Thank you

Dates?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Nugil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 October 16 20:03 BST (UK) »
Dates would be...Annie Mackin born 2 May 1879. Passed away 1907.  She married Charles Francis Nugent Sept 1890