Author Topic: aberystwyth lifeboat crew  (Read 12416 times)

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
aberystwyth lifeboat crew
« on: Tuesday 24 January 06 22:58 GMT (UK) »
     hi rootschatters,
                         capt. thomas williams is a relation of my wife. the williams and evans  family were involved with the lifeboat from day one right up to present times i have info on the familys from other family members but have been unable to get the address that they lived in aberystwyth, i would appreciate any info that you could possibly give on these familys, i have been told that there is a photo of capt. williams hanging in the library at aberystwyth. his children were, david williams, thomas williams ann williams, ann married thomas evans thier children, harry, thomas, catherine, and rossina, rossina married henry charles hill my wifes grandfather, 23-7-1899 at st lukes wearside durham, any info on these familys would be gratefully recieved.
                                                                          kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline kprobes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: aberystwyth lifeboat crew
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kali

What year is this picture taken, and did you say one of these men is your family member.?
Were any of your williams's from Llanbadarn fawr?
Kerry
williams from Llanbadarn Fawr, ABERYSTWYTH
Harris from Horspath, Oxford
Jacksons from oxford
probets from thame
chowns from sydenham, bucks

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 18:11 GMT (UK) »
hello kerry,
               the photo was taken between the years 1876-1891 these are the years that 'captain thomas williams' was coxswain of the lifeboat, david thomas's son was coxswain from 1876-1891, a record 42 and a bit years,  also another son thomas williams jnr. was a member of her crew, he also a daughter ANN, ann married a thomas evans whose children were:- harry, thomas, catherine and rossina, rossina married my wife's grandfather charles hill on 23-7-1899 at st lukes wearside durham, i would like to know the addresses in aberystwyth of both the williams and evans families if it is at all possible, captain thomas was known locally as captain 'ruby' thomas, theysay his boat was 'the ruby'
thanks for your reply, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 06 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kali
I don't know any of the crew in the picture but it looks as if the photograph was taken in Queen's Road just outside the lifeboat shed.   
Queen's Road is behind the promenade and to launch the large lifeboats they had to be dragged from Queen's Road, right turn along Bath Street (or Portland Street), right turn into Terrace Road, onto the Prom and launched from the beach!
This process continued, I believe, well into the sixties until the large lifeboat was replaced by a Zodiac which is now launched from the harbour.
Thought you might like to know
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 March 06 21:32 GMT (UK) »
sorry for the delay in replying but just got back from yorkskire,
      so thanks for your reply dave, it all helps fit the pieces together, cheers kali.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 March 06 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for my delay.   If you want any more little snippets let me know - I grew up in Aberystwyth and my wife to be lived just by the lifeboat house.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 09:00 BST (UK) »
Did you know about the important dates in the lifeboats history.

1843 The first lifeboat was looked after by the Harbour Master and housed in a boathouse near the harbour.

1861 A lifeboat station was established by the RNLI.

1866 A Silver Medal was awarded to Watkin Lewis for saving seven people during two rescues.

1875 A new boathouse was built; this was used until 1964.

1877 Crew Member John James died from exhaustion after a long service to a schooner.

1898 A new slipway was built.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 19:22 BST (UK) »
thanks for that, bilge, i do have a book on the lifeboat which contains that info but thank you for posting it, kali.

Offline gnasher3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 December 08 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kali,
I am trying to trace my grandfathers family and was always told as a child that our family had a lot to do with the lifeboats in Aberystwyth. My grandfather was George Williams, he had brothers Thomas, Harry and David, (Thomas & Harry lived I think on Marine Terrace, I think Harry's wife was Jane)and a sister Annie May who lived in Castle Cottage. I know they owned a boat/ship building yard I think run by their father also David. We used to go on holiday every year to Aber but stopped after Annie May died which I think was back in the 70's. I think George did the accounts for the lifeboat and some research I have done does suggest he was the secretary, I know he named his house after the lifeboat Aguila Wren. I am wondering if I have any connection to the Williams family who operated the life boats?
I would really appreciate any help.
Gnasher3
Williams from Aberystwyth, Walker from Cheshire.