Author Topic: aberystwyth lifeboat crew  (Read 12361 times)

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: aberystwyth lifeboat crew
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 December 08 23:16 GMT (UK) »
hi, gnasher,
i am struggling with this family myself im afraid so do not have much to offer.
at the moment i am not at home but will go through my records when i can and let you have the little information that i have, nice to hear from you, have a nice christmas, and success in your research in the new year. kali.
by the way, welcome to rootschat, there are a good bunch here who are always willing to help.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline gnasher3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 December 08 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kali,

Thanks for your reply. I can only get as far as my grandfathers parents were called David and Annie Williams (nee Roberts) Their son David was in the Merchant Navy and was captain/Master of a couple of boats during the war his details are on the war memorial in Aber I have quite a lot of info on him. I don't get chance to get on line that often so if I don't get back to you for a few days please forgive me :) Any help at all would be great.
Gnasher3
Williams from Aberystwyth, Walker from Cheshire.

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 December 08 00:02 GMT (UK) »
hi gnasher, just found a book i have of the lifeboat history, in the section hon secretaries we have
 1861 to 1895 the rev. j williams
 1943 to 1957 george williams esq.
also on the commitee for 1961 is an a williams esq.

coxwains of the lifeboat 1876 to 1891 was thomas williams
1891 to 1933 was david williams the son of thomas above
1933 to 1942 was thomas william lewis another member of the family but i do not know the relationship.
the aguila wren was commisioned in 1951
the book is called the story of the aberystwyth life-boat 1861-1961 it may be possible to get a copy i dont know but it has some good pics of crew members and boats, when i get more info will let you know, ken.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline gnasher3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 December 08 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kali,
The Lewis connection makes sense as I was sent a letter from a chap who had served with my great uncle David  (David was known as Jack to the family) in WW11. It was from a lady Mrs  L Lewis referring to Jack as her cousin. I will try to track down the address which is very unclear. I will try to get hold of the book and perhaps start looking at the Lewis connection and see if I can get anywhere that way. If I can just get the more recent connection I think the rest may just fall into place :)
Cheers Gnasher3

Offline gnasher3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 March 09 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kali,
I have been doing a bit more research and everything I have found points to Thomas Williams being my Great, Great grandfather. If you don't have the addresses yet Thomas lived at Queens Road, Aberystwyth in the1881 census and at St Johns Buildings, Aberystwyth in the 1891 census and by 1901 his son David was living there with his nephew Thomas William Lewis.
Just to note my husband has Lovell's in his family tree from Bristol.
If you do find out anything else please let me know.
Cheers Gnasher

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 April 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi! I have recently stumbled upon this super link. It has a comprehensive history of the lifeboats, building and people that operated out of Aberystwyth. There are many photographs shown I am sure that some will be of your ancestors.

http://users.aber.ac.uk/spm3ce/index.htm
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 15:09 GMT (UK) »
If my memory serves me well, I believe the Williams family boatyard was in the harbour (surprise surprise) on the Trefechan side close to the old lime kiln.   I remember the wooden slipway to the harbour.   Incidently the harbour was only useable at high tide, and a limited time either side.   Seems like a good reason for the lifeboat to be launched off the beach and therefore available 24/7.
I also remember the Aguila Wren named in memory of wrens who died aboard the SS Aguila in wwII.   Google aguila wren for more info and lifeboat pictures.
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline gnasher3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 August 10 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Kali,

If you do happen to see this I have found a definate link to your wifes family. Ann Willams is the sister of my great grandfather David Williams. I have the connection from the 1911 census where Thomas William Lewis is still living with David Williams at 2 Crynfryn Row, Aberystwyth. I have a lot of details of Davids . Ann had sisters Margaret bn 1849 and Elizabeth bn 1858 I think she is the mother of Thomas William Lewis. Ann had brothers William 1852, Thomas 1860, John 1864 and David 1865/7.
Hope this helps your research. Gnasher

Offline Lvott

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 June 12 04:43 BST (UK) »
Kali/Dave/Gnasher3

Stumbled on to your post after watching some of the Jubilee coverage last week and going through some old photos of my Dad, Tom Williams.  I am youngest daughter Linda, and met you (Gnasher3) when you were an infant in Castle Cottage. Would love to connect with you as we are related...your Grandpa George and my Dad Tom were brothers.  You can email me at (*) or add me via facebook under the name Linda Votteri.

Very excited to see your post and to see all the other other replies!!!

Thanks Kali and Dave!

Look forward to connecting with you!
Linda

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php