Author Topic: Jones / Corbett: Murder / execution Do I have any living relatives?  (Read 39119 times)

Offline ossiej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones / Corbett: Murder / execution Do I have any living relatives?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 September 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am hoping you're still following up the Jones/Corbett murder and associated families.
When I read the item it sent some shivers up my spine as I am the Great Grandson of Gertrude Nash and have been researching our family for a while, and have just started on the murder she had mentioned to me.
Most of the names you have mentioned on the Jones / Nash side I am familiar with through some notes I have taken from my great grand mother's bible. I can fill you in on the family background as she was alive until 1970 she was 96 when she died and I knew her well. She occasionally mentioned the murder in the family. I have some photo's you may be interested in.
As you are from NZ you may want to hop across the pond to Oz as there are Joneses living there! I'm thrilled at the possibility of finding some more 'relatives'

Iechyd da
osseij

Offline Katrina123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
You might be able to point me in the right direction.

My great grandfather born in wales 1902, Alexander Bert Corbett, all i know is he was born a bastard, he died in hertfordshire, my nan didnt know nothing of his family. My great grandfathers wife was called Elizabeth Matilda Corbett (was Collins) and they had a child Margaret Patricia Corbett (my nan)

Could this be linked?

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
First of all Katrina I'd like to wish you a very warm welcome to Rootschat.I take it your Great-Grandfather died in St Albans Hertfordshire in 1977.Now his death record on Ancestry gives his Birthdate as the 3rd of March 1903.Do you hold his Marriage Certificate of his marriage to Elizabeth Matilda Collins?Normally a Marriage Certificate would give the father's name.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat.
(the marriage certificate would not necessarily have the father's name of an illegitimate child)

This is interesting

it seems the marriage of Elizabeth Matilda Collins and Alexander Bert took place in Kent -but Alexander had 2 surnames -maybe he chanc=ged his name -or mum married and he took her married name

I would think the marriage cert is essential

Marriage reg
Sept Qtr 1931
Lewisham
Kent
Elizabeth M Collins
Alexander B Corbett
Alexander B Stephens
1d 2850

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Katrina123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
Well this is just it, his father was not on the birth certificate, he was an illigitimate child, he did have a brother named tom Corbett though, i dont have details as of yet but will try my hardest.

Two surnames? yeah that is odd (his mothers name was Agnes Stephens) its hard to find out info as my nan was young when her mother (agnes) died

Thanks for replying though, can be really difficult finding help

Offline Katrina123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Agnes Stephens was my nans grandmother lol

all these names

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
Interestingly there is given the Birth in the January Quarter of 1903 of an Alexander Bert Stephens,his birth is recorded in the Monmouth District of Monmouthshire.The GRO Birth Index reference is Volume 11a page31.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
It does seem the birth record of Alexander bert Stephens  is Alexander Bert Corbett

probably his mother married after his birth and Alexander took that name

Is the birth cert you have in the surname Stephens??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GROWMORE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 14:28 BST (UK) »
i am anthony corbett grandson of bryn corbett i knew your farther charlie and your mother when they lived in wales up graig y rhacca my grandfather was the brother of the hanged man he never spoke much about it. it would be nice to correspond with you. i have two children living in perth australia if you my email adress is (*). i only live a mile from where the murder took place hope to hear from you soon all the best   

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php