Author Topic: Muir Of Ord. Which District Does This Come Under?  (Read 18267 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Muir Of Ord. Which District Does This Come Under?
« Reply #72 on: Monday 23 April 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
Ardnagrask was part of the forfeited estates of Lord Lovat of the '45. The government factor was Captain John Forbes of Newe who settled retired soldiers on the lands. The government factors generally gave leases to tenants, abolished servitudes & spent the rents on improvements, building roads, bridges, inns etc' The Frasers got some of their estates back after military service in the 1770's. Might be worth checking the Forfeited Estates Papers for tenancies, Campbell doesn't sound very local & was Ardnagrask later purchased by the Mackenzies.

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 08:04 BST (UK) »
a tad flustered as to how the census reads; definitely an odd one.
Yes, very confusing in a view from 177 years on. But Ardnagrask was in the middle of his enumeration district. I imagine it as one of these stylised images of the Sun with a circle and tentacles reaching out all round. Ardnagrask is the central circle, and all the other places are along tentacles reaching outwards, so his route went out along a tentacle, then back to the middle, then out along another tentacle and back, and so on until he was back where he started, with the occasional aberration when a schedule got out of order in the pile he was transcribing into the enumeration book. If you see what I mean?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
Having done this myself, there is no proscribed route to follow just the ED list, the enumerator has to chase up absent crofters so it's snakes & ladders, go for his dinner & look in on relatives. As long as he gets the job done, I don't fancy it was any different then, although I worked from the car boot!

Skoosh.

Offline DougD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 10 June 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Just returned from a visit to Scotland.  Searching through some family genealogy notes compiled by my cousin, Dr. Allan Campbell, I discovered that Allan had also travelled up the Corry Road above the Muir of Ord Railway Station in search of Croftnabual.  He too found a white bungalow with the sign “Croc Na Boull” and beside that a much larger house.  At the larger house he encountered Giles Foster, the long-time factor of the Lovat Estate.  Mr. Foster told Allan that the ruins of the old Inn were in his garden!  Both Allan and Giles are now deceased so I can’t ask them any questions.  So, the location is confirmed.  Now if there are any old photographs of the Inn from the 19th century to be found……