Author Topic: fairfouls in fife  (Read 8298 times)

Offline dandylion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
fairfouls in fife
« on: Thursday 26 January 06 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find my family roots in Fife and just over the border in Perthshire. There is a conection with Abernethy and Auchtermuchty through my grandfather Peter and his brother George who stayed there a lot. I have photos of my dad (David) and his brother Peter in Abernethy when they were young. I think a relative had a shop there. If you can help me trace anybody there either living or dead I would be very greatful.

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: fairfouls in fife
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 06 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dandylion,

I have Elizabeth Fairfull (b.1713) married to William Blyth (b.1718) in Markinch on 1 July 1738.  Her parents were George Fairfull (b. abt. 1690) and Jean Miller (b. abt. 1690).  She had two sisters Margaret (b.1715) and Mary (b.1717) and a brother John (b.1728).

Elizabeth and William had five children that I've traced so far, George (b.1742), William (b.1744), James (b.1746), Thomas (b.1754) and Andrew (b.1751).  The first three were born in Markinch and the other two in Wemyss.

Looking at the OPRs it appears that the names Fairfull and Fairfoul were interchangeable.  I've kept to the Fairfull spelling.

Is this any help?

Regards,

JDB307
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline dandylion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 06 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much this is very useful. I have come across many different spellings of the name in different parts of Scotland. I have serched the web and found quite a few Fairfouls going back as far as John in 1598. As the name isn't very common I would like to try and work my way as far back as possible and include as many current Fairfouls as I can.

Offline kirstyfairfull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 March 06 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Dandylion,
I have traced Fairfull/Fairfoul back to middle 1700,s. My line I have back to Robert Fairfull & Janet Thom they are in St Andrews. Kirsty.

My other names all Fife Auchterlonie ,Birrell,Briggs,Dempster,Herd,Pullar,Mann,Weir.
Dundee. Pullar, Gray, Calman,Halket.
Fife, Auchterlonie, Binnie, Briggs,Dempster,Herd,Mann,Kidd, Grubb, Rollo,Henderson,McLaren, Fairfull,Weir. Just to name a few.

Offline dandylion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 06 17:57 BST (UK) »
thank you for this info. what relationship do you have to the Fairfoul's? I am related through my dad. :)

Offline kirstyfairfull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 March 06 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I was born a Fairfull. My line started in St Andrews, Cameron then onto Leslie Then Auchterderran ending up in Wemyss from 1835.
I,ve followed them through Fife on Hugh Wallis ,have you looked at that I think nearly every Fairfull what ever the spelling is on it. Kirsty.
Fife, Auchterlonie, Binnie, Briggs,Dempster,Herd,Mann,Kidd, Grubb, Rollo,Henderson,McLaren, Fairfull,Weir. Just to name a few.

Offline dandylion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 March 06 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty, I'm only just starting out on my hunt for the family, I nead to try and get hold of my dad to find out more about the conection with Abernethy and Auctermuchy where he used to spend time as a child. My grandad was Peter and his brother was George and George died in 2001 in Marlow Bucks aged 90. There is an article in the Bucks Free Press about him as he was an inventor.Hugh Wallis sounds interesting where can I find him?
Many thanks,  Rowena.

Offline scrumsrus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mainly from both sides of Scottish Borders & Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 June 06 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a Margaret FAIRFOUL born abt 1842 St.Andrews, married William VALENTINE on 27 March 1862 in St.Andrews and died on 10 February 1910 in Lower Largo.

Can anyone tell  me who her parents were?

Many thanks.

Regards
Andy Stuart

Have you tried www.lostcousins.com
They have a great system of putting you in contact with other members who are researching your family.
All you have to do is enter ALL you relatives that appear on the 1881 Census and they do the rest, they are good at helping with your research as well.

If you decide to join, and basic membership is free, I would be most grateful if you would use my Personal code JUN77333.
Many thanks.
Good Luck with your research.
[/b]
Direct surnames: Stuart, Lowes, Welsh/Welch, Purvis, Robertson, Scott, Halkerston, Middlemoss, Stothert, Brown, Arnot, Mather, Wilson, Kirkaldy, Hamilton, Geggie, Wood, Huntley, Parker, Pigas,  Hunter, Close, Douglas, Young, Robb, Hannah, Fraser, Brydon, Hill, Harrison, Paterson, Hall, Bell, McQuaker, Edgar, McKeand, Bruce, Cumming & variants of all the above and many other less direct relatives.

Offline kirstyfairfull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 June 06 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,
There,s someone on GenesReunited with that line.This is what he has . Margaret Fairfoul,s parents as Thomas Fairfoul & Elspeth Hay, both born 1816. Thomas parents as James Fairfoul 1793 & Elspeth Elder. Hope that helps. Kirsty.