Author Topic: Bell's of Hoddam or Ecclefechan  (Read 12725 times)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Bell's of Hoddam or Ecclefechan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

I can confirm there is no Nicholas Bell of any age on the 1841 Hoddam film.  :'(

There are however many many Bell families so if you get anymore clues I'll happily revisit it.

Sorry,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline joyan

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 December 04 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam

Many thanks for trying to find Nicholas Bell on the 1841 census, she is proving to be elusive! I can't come up with any more details other than .. father John Bell supposedly a Tailor and Mary Ann Bell who could have been her sister or mother?

If when you next go to the library and have some spare time on your hands I would appreciate if you could check the baptism records between 1825 - 1832 but I do realise your time is precious and if I am asking too much please forgive me.

With kind regards and thanks again

Joyce

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 December 04 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I am being rubbish aren't I.  I should of said, but the first time I went I did check for the baptism but she wasn't there.

Sorry,
Pam
 :'(
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline sentance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 January 05 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a few 1841 census booklets from the area put out by the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society.  They list people alphabetically, (and don't specify relationships) which can make  it a bit iffy to put families together.

There are a number of female Nicholas Bells in the "Annan Landward" booklet - which wouldn't be far. they include a 12 year old at 'Millside', but the head of the household looks to be a William, 37 yr old Agr Labourer.  There is also a 18 year old at 'Newbie barns 8' whose father looks to be a John, age 58, farmer.  There are also 25 year old and 55 year old Nicholas' - the latter the wife of John.  The family includes a Mary, age 12 and several others.

If you search for the society you can probably find how to order the booklets.

My Ecclefechan area connection is to the Johnston(e) family, emigrants to Canada in the mid 1800's.

Jim

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 January 05 23:07 GMT (UK) »
For those not finding Bells or any other names in Ecclefechan in 1841 it is important to emphasise that Ecclefechan experienced a number of in-migrations as it grew.  So the Bells in question could have come in from other localities.  One of the industries that thrived there for a while was bacon curing, an activity in which Thomas Carlisle's brother engaged as a buyer. A number of the inhabitants, including my great great grandfather, took up curing bacon in outbuildings of their homes and selling on to buyers. My ancestor subsequently took on the coal merchant franchise, carried on by a son and grandson. There was also a cotton mill for a time. There are stories of gypsy families settling there, also people displaced from agricultural tenancy evictions elsewhere. My ancestors came there from Cummertrees after reorganisation of farm tenancies there. Even today, a substantial proportion of the population are displaced from other areas, mainly council estate relocations. Ecclefechan should be studied with this caution. The true indigenous population pre 1800 was quite small.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline joyan

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Apologies to Sentance and Longshanks for not replying to the Bell topic sooner! with my husband being in hospital I have not had a lot of time recently.

I want to thank you both for your information regarding the Bell's, Sentance I will be looking into those booklets you mentioned and Longshanks yes I agree there is always the possibility that they moved into the area! perhaps I should look further afield hmmm!!!!!!

Many thanks

Joyce

Offline rodbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 March 05 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Just starting to search for info and possibly a sketch of David Bell of Eccelfechan, b.about 1788, and I believe graduated from U of E. He emigrated to Canada in 1832 (to Ontario),with his wife,Margaret Bryden b.1788 (possibly in Lockerbie), and several children.
His father was Walter Bell.
Any help or guidance is appreciated.