Author Topic: Old Kilpatrick Cemetery.  (Read 55822 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Kilpatrick Cemetery.
« on: Saturday 28 January 06 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out where OldKilpatrick Cemetery is.
I have several family members there from 1800's.
I do know know if they are all buried together in a plot, or in single graves  ???
How would I find out?
I did contact the council, but had no reply  :-\
I would like to find out where their graves are so I can visit them when I come up to Scotland in May.

Does anyone know how else I could find out  ???

Thank you.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline winniep

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Old Kilpatrick Cemetery.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 January 06 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

there is definetly a cemetery in old Kilpatrick if you contact West Dunbartonshire council offices in Clydebank. I have spoken to a chap I work with and he says if you contact the burials department in Cochno Street Clydebank and they may be able to help you

Regards

Winniep :)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 January 06 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you winniep
I have sent an e mail to them.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 06 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I contacted the Clydebank Library and they have given me a stone number. So they must be all buried together.
And they gave me the e mail address of the lady who is in charge of the cemetery.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 11:25 GMT (UK) »
I have had an e mail back.
There are 3 lairs which my ggg grandfather bought in the cemetery.
I now know who is buried in which lair, and I have now found my g grandmother who is buried there too.
I never knew when she died until now, so that is another death certificate I can order.

But her husband James Munn, who died 39 years after here is not buried in any of they lairs.
I cannot find him  ???

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 06 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Old Kilpatrick cemetery is a beautiful place -lots of my rellies are buried there & I myself have bought  a plot there(long story!)
There are lots of OLD Graves here including Covenanter's & others.Just to warn you my G-Grandfather made his own headstone-he was a Stonemason but unfortunately it was destroyed in the 1968 storm.My grandfather & his elder brother went to view it but it was prohibitively expensive to repair so there is nothing to mark their grave.
It is in the Churchyard & right on the main road with the OK hills in the background.There are family vaults too & the cemetery is divided into Old/new.I have spent many a happy hour trawling round the graves! I know sad  I have always been fascinated by cemeteries
If you give me names I might recall or have a look next time I am home
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 06 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joette,
How sad your g grandfathers head stone was destroyed in the storm.
The graves we are going to visit are very old too, so I am not we will be able to read them.
They are of my ggg grandfather Daniel Munn 5th Nov 1875 and his wife Janet Munn 28th Aug 1889 and their Daughter Agnes who died in 1850 age 2.Son Walter 17th July 1872 age 22.
Margaret Munn 1906, plus more Munn's.
They are in section 34.

Let me know if you do find them, when we come up in May to visit, I have to ring up another cemetery for someone to come and meet us at OK Cemetery to show us the plots.

Thanks

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 February 06 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like you will find them in the front part of the graveyard.Munn is a name I recognise were there any descendants left in the area do you know?
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 February 06 17:22 GMT (UK) »
My g grandfather Andrew Munn died in 1915 WW1 in France, he had four brothers Walter, Daniel, John and James, I think they all died too except John.
They had two sisters Jessie and Margaret, I don't know what happened to the, I plan to find out when I visit the Mitchell Library in May.
Their mother died in 1906, and their father in 1945 (James Munn)
He is not buried there, we cannot find him, Clydebank local history have tried to help.When he died he was in Risk St Home, but then we think he moved to an Asylum in Lochgilphead, Argyll,senile for the last six moths of his life. He may be in a paupers grave, and I know of no family after him.
Though I have been told there are still Munn's in the area.
It would be great to meet some descendants.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz