Author Topic: Old Kilpatrick Cemetery.  (Read 55968 times)

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Kilpatrick Cemetery.
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 26 May 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
Norman have you seen a picture of the plaque at Erskine Bridge. I can email you a copy of it if you wish my email address is (*). I went to old Kilpatrick churchyard and took pictures of the ww1 gravestones but as he died in Larbert in 1927 i would not have taken him as he would be on a family headstone if he is in there. I will check out the Graveyard at Larbert church to see if he could be buried in there.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 26 May 13 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hello King Ranger,
Thanks for your kind offer of taking a photo of the plaque but I have one already that I found on a Website recently.

Since I discovered Alexander Dunn died in Larbert Asylum I've found he was only in the place about 11 months. He died on the 9th Nov 1927 so is probably in Old Kilpatrick cemetery. His wife Martha nee McCallum was still living at old Church Place when he died.

It looks like our family story about him dying of wounds after WW1 is unlikely as he died 9 years after the war in 1927. Thank you all for your help.

If you see a Martha Dunn grave I'd be interested to know about it. I wonder if they had family?

Many thanks,
NORMAN DUNN

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 26 May 13 21:37 BST (UK) »
I did a lot of work at the Larbert Hospital when it was closing down moving people out into the community .As a previous poster said there was a big mix of what people were in there for. It is possible that he may have been taken back to Old Kilpatrick to be buried ,but would have depended on whether the family could pay to have this done.I only live five minutes from Larbert so i will check out the records for Larbert Church and Larbert cemetery.

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hello King Ranger,
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to check it out for me. Its amazing how people like yourself & others are prepared to go the extra mile to help total strangers. Very much appreciated.

NORMAN DUNN

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Norman, i have been at Larbert East Church graveyard today no joy there. I have arranged to view records of Larbert graveyard on Monday.If it is fine on Friday myself and my daughter will drive through to Old Kilpatrick and try to find the grave there.We have already done the ww1 graves in the churchyard but Alex would not be on one of them as he did not die till 1927. I will post on Friday night if we have any joy.
                                                       Colin

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hello again Colin,
THANK YOU for taking the trouble to help a total stranger like me. I really appreciate it.
Even though Alexander Dunn was a Pauper in the 1920s I still wonder if he was maybe honoured with a Military style funeral paid for by the British Legion because he was a former soldier. My very first post mentions the family story about him getting a Military Funeral. Maybe it was a British Legion funeral? Thanks again Colin,
NORMAN 

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Norman ,just by chance my mate who also happens to be my local Councillor dropped in last night.He saw me going through the pages of the RNSH and asked what i was up to.When i told him he straight away told me the records of every person that had been in the RNSH and the nearby Bellsdyke Hospital were held by the Forth Valley Health Board .If i have no joy at Oldkilpatrick on Friday then he will see what the procedure is to get access to them . He does not think myself or him will be allowed but is certain you as a relative would have every right to find the resting place of a relation.As i said i will post on Friday night and let you know how we got on in Oldkilpatrick .
                                               Colin.

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 09:30 BST (UK) »
You could be right about the Legion as they were formed in 1921 so may very well have helped out .                              Colin.

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
I have already been onto the University of Stirling Archives who hold records for Larbert Asylum & their records say Alexander was a Pauper & admitted  on the 24th Dec 1926 and died on the 9th Nov 1927 age 42. He was a Rivetter so probably worked in the shipyards previously & his previous place of Abode was 'Old Church Place' in Old Kilpatrick with wife Martha McCallum..