Author Topic: Old Kilpatrick Cemetery.  (Read 55825 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Old Kilpatrick Cemetery.
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 18:28 BST (UK) »
Norman,

Thank you for your message that you sent us at RootsChat support. Hopefully somebody will read this post and come to your assistance.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 19:24 BST (UK) »
Alexander Dunn who I'm hoping to get some details about from his grave in Old Kilpatrick Cemetery had an older brother John Dunn.

John was in the Kings Own Scottish Borderers fighting in India & gained medals for the 1895 Punjab Frontier & also the Tirah Campaign in 1897-98. Then after 7 years or more in India he went to South Africa to fight in the Boer war 1900-1902. Not long afterwards he was discharged but then when WW1 broke out he joined up in a different regiment  & was killed 22nd July 1918. So he's an Old Kilpatrick hero yet no one knows much about him other than his name on a plaque close to the  Erskine Bridge.
Another brother born in Old Kilpatrick, Andrew was killed years later in 1941 when living at 131 Dumbarton Rd &  the Luftwaffe bombed Clydebank.   

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
For Alexander it looks as though he died after discharge as he's not on CWGC that I can see so many need to find death certificate as there are a couple that fit in with him especially 4926 Alex Dunn who was discharged wounds
Hopefully the Death Certificate may have details

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/238953/DUNN, J

John's unit is on info above

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/3159864/DUNN, ANDREW

Here's Andrew
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 08:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you 'mmm45' for the Links to John & Andrew Dunn.
Even though we already knew a little bit  about our two great uncles it is still nice to see they are remembered officially. Where did you find the info for an Alexander Dunn 4926?

In case this helps,Alexander Nicol Dunn was born at Scotts Land, Old Kilpatrick 1885 & married Martha McCallum in 1910. We were told he died of his wounds after the war (ww1).

Many thanks,
NORMAN

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

Your Alexander Dunn died on 9 November 1927 at Larbert Asylum, Stirlingshire. His usual address was Old Church Place, Old Kilpatrick and his wife was shown as Martha McCallum. If you would like a copy of the death certificate then just send me a pm giving your email address and I will get that off to you.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
Dear 'Imber' , Thank you so much for helping me.
Our family story said that he was given a Military Funeral in Old Kilpatrick & the whole town turned out including the Provost. I now wonder if that was true seeing he died in Stirlingshire in 1927. What a surprise hearing that. I'd love a copy of the Death Certificate if you don't mind.

Thanks so much for your help.
NORMAN

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 23 May 13 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks to 'Imber' I now know a bit more about my family mystery. If you read my first post you will see that I am trying to find what happened to my Grandad's brother Alexander Nicol Dunn  who lived at old Church Place in Old Kilpatrick & he married  Martha McCallum in 1910. Then ww1 came along & Alexander was injured & died of wounds after the war. 'Imber' has discovered  that Alexander died on the 9th Nov 1927 in Larbert Lunatic Asylum.

What a shame that in those days a man fought for his country & ended up in a Lunatic Asylum. What a horrible word that is!.

So I now wonder did Old Kilpatrick really give him a Military Funeral with the Provost & the town turning out ?

If anyone can help further to solve my little mystery I'd appreciate it. Maybe there is a gravestone in OK Cemetery?
Thank you for reading this,
NORMAN DUNN 

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 23 May 13 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Norman, my great great gran died in Larbert but not everyone in there was for mental health problems. You may find this link useful in finding out more.

http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/family-history/docs/Medical_records_for_family_history.pdf
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Norman Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 23 May 13 11:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Seoras,
Thank you so much for helping me & supplying me with that LINK.
I'll certainly have a look at it.

Best wishes,
NORMAN