Author Topic: Richards in swansea  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Richards in swansea
« on: Monday 20 September 04 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

my grandma's maiden name was Richards, she married in Swansea, but originally came from Llandovery. she had no brothers but lots of sisters, who i can check thru my papers where they lived. Her name was ANNIE

best wishes
joanne

UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richards in swansea
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Joanne

I have split / moved this topic you posted, as you may find more information this way.

Do you have a time frame for your Richards?
Perhaps I may be able to help you more  ;D

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 04 18:50 BST (UK) »
annie was married about 1920/21 to Thomas Humphreys in Swansea, although she was from LLandovery, therir first child was born 1921 back in Llandovery

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 September 04 09:28 BST (UK) »
As the time frame is in the 1920's the only thing that springs to mind is the Voters lists. However the Reference Library have many dated books, It is a real slogg going through them all. Have you any idea which areas of Swansea they lived in? (e.g: Cwmbwrla, Llangyfelach, St John's etc) It may give a better picture when searching through the Voters Lists.

There is another thread on here relating to all the Voters Lists available in the Swansea Reference Library: http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8630.msg26956#msg26956

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=2237

There are some incomplete books around 1920 so the nearest date for you would be 1926

The only other options open to you would be:

The 1901 Census. If you have a birth year for Annie or Thomas that may narrow the search down a bit for them.

Or purchasing the 1st child's birth & / or finding Annie & Thomas' Marriage Certificate to find out their Father's names to work backwards.

This may be better to do before consulting the Voters Lists as It is not clear if they were in Swansea around 1921

Quote "annie was married about 1920/21 to Thomas Humphreys in Swansea, although she was from LLandovery, therir first child was born 1921 back in Llandovery"

I hope some of this information has helped you  :)

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 September 04 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi welsh jen

Thanks for the links and ino, ill give it a go

joanne