Author Topic: Pemberton's of Lancashire one name study  (Read 9090 times)

Offline HilaryW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Pemberton's of Lancashire one name study
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 May 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just to add my interest in the Pembertons -

my great (x3) grandfather was James Pemberton, born about 1770 in Lancashire and married to Martha Livesey in 1791 in Blackburn

Regards
Hilary
CUL - Wilson, Gainford, Fox, Banks, Rooke
YKS - Plaxton
LAN - Rhodes, Wolstenholme, Pemberton
NFK - Hammond, Tombling

Offline JacksonOfGeorge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking for Pemberton's Huff (Hough?) in Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 April 12 08:37 BST (UK) »
Just to let those with Pemberton interest know - the Pemberton DNA Project, hosted at Family Tree DNA, has identified the exact DNA of one George Pemberton, b. ca. 1660, Cheshire. He was married to Sarah Middleton. His son George Pemberton emmigrated to the Virginia Colony about 1710. The Project is looking to identify all major branches of the Pemberton family and has just confirmed the DNA of the line commonly called the Huguenot Pembertons of Manakintown, Virginia. You can read more about these at http://PFWW.org
Pemberton 1660, Middleton 1660, Coppock 1610 in Cheshire; Coate 1644 in Minehead, Somerset

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 April 12 16:16 BST (UK) »
We are also researching the Pembertons from Lancashire and later London / Manchester/Warwickshire . Known family starts with John Pemberton 1797 St Helens Lancs (who married Martha Clifton in London 1817) from which we have all descendants, his parentage is still being researched but father is either Samuel a glassmaker living Eccleston or John a gent living in Sutton.

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 April 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
Since writing in 2007, I have  got a little further back with my Pembertons.  The furthest back I've got is a Jeremy (Jeremiah) Pemberton bapt 1746 in Rostherne, Cheshire.  I think his parents were Joseph Pemberton and Phebe Hall who married in December 1745.

Someone told me all Pembertons came from Lancashire and got very annoyed when I said I couldn't find any connection with my Pembertons and any from Lancashire around the same period (mid 1700s).  Perhaps I was correct in that the original Pembertons were from Cheshire, if there is a George Pemberton born about 1660 in Cheshire and as well as someone going to US, others went into Lancashire for work, rather than coming from Lancashire to Cheshire.

JacksonOfGeorge - I have the wills of Jeremy Pemberton 1799, Peter Pemberton 1860 and his wife Elizabeth 1869 if you would like me to send you the transcriptions.

Maybe you know that a couple of other Pembertons went to USA in 1870s.  Samuel who was born in Kingsley, Frodsham in 1847 and his brother William born 1854 in Kingsley, Frodsham, Cheshire.

Lizzie

Lizzie

Offline theshadow

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 04:45 BST (UK) »
I am from the Hallmark lineage and would like to see any information you have on the Hallmark's that you care to share--I am interested in sources also.  Thanks---Jack

Offline Louise Bruzon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I have Pembertons on my father's side of the family but only limited information.

My Grandmother was May Pemberton (born 1920), sister to Norah and Alice.  That's all I know!  She married Herbert Saunders from London and lived in North London for many years before moving back to Lancashire in her final years.

I would love to know more about this side of the family.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 18:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth registration of a May Pemberton in the first quarter of 1921, which would match a birth at the end of 1920, but that May seems to have 5 siblings, none of whose names match the sisters you mention.

Are you sure of things? When did May die? Her death registration should mention an age or date of birth.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.