Author Topic: Mavie Mill COMPLETED  (Read 6965 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mavie Mill COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 29 January 06 14:28 GMT (UK) »
My g g grandparents married at my g g grandmothers house/farm, Mavie Mill, near Gartocharn.
Does anyone know if it is still there.
I saw a cottage for sale while I was searching google for Mavie Mill.
The cottage was built c1857, they married in 1883.
It was in the parish of Kilmaronock.

Do you think it could be the same place?

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline mrst

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mavie Mill
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 21:37 GMT (UK) »
No chance they are miles apart . There are a few wee villages around Gartocharn though whos names escape me at the minute , let me check and I will get back to you .
Mrst ::)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 06 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I have their marriage cert and it is Mavie Mill KilmarOnock, It is going up towards Loch Lomond.
It is not Kilmarnock (with one o, which is south from Glasgow.

I have seen it on the map, but it is not in new map books as it is an old village with one church and at the time one school.

I can't wait to visit in May  :)

Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline mrst

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 February 06 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Oh I see ! sorry !
Well I am from Balloch and the road to Gartocharn starts at the top of Balloch . There are lots of wee villages before and after there on the road to Stirling . Hope you find what you are looking for !
Mrst

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 February 06 10:02 GMT (UK) »
http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/big/sct/DNB/Kilmaronock/

This might help - it appears that this is part of Bonhill, which is between Balloch and Dumbarton rather than on the road to Stirling although it states that the modern Kilmaronock includes Drymen in it which is up the Stirling Road.
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 February 06 16:19 GMT (UK) »
That's OK mrst, I was confused, until someone explained the "o's"  :D
My friend who lives in Duntocher has never heard of Kilmaronock either.

Thank you annaandchester, my ancestors who lived there were born in Drymen.
I will have a look at the link now.  ;)

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline winniep

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 13:59 GMT (UK) »
pettsy

Regarding Kilmoronock just after you leave gartocharn heading for stirling there is a church called kilmoronock  with a graveyard attached hope this
information is of use to you

regards
winniep :)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you Winniep,
This is where I thought they were married, until I was told they were married at the brides home in those days.
And they got married at her home in Mavie Mill.

But if we go up to Kilmaroncok I will visit the church.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline Caroline1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Just came across your post and wasn't sure from the above discussion whether you realised that the cottage you saw for sale could have been your ancestors home.

Kilmaronock is a parish rather than a place and contains the village of Gartocharn. Mavie mill is in the back road between Croftamie and Gartocharn and is definitely still there. I assume you are related to the McAuleys who were there in 1881

My family, McLarens, stayed just along the road and in 1881 they were employing an Elizabeth McAuley. She was born in Glasgow though so probably no relation to you.

If you need more details on the area let me know. I assume you have the family in the 1881 census?

Caroline