Author Topic: Presentation  (Read 28005 times)

Offline craggus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Presentation
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 09:37 BST (UK) »
I really like the idea of including old pictures of the towns and villages, and also a breakdown of the occupations over the years extracted from the census information. One line of the family tree have all lived pretty locally so I may even try purchasing an old map and plotting their movements on that. Unfortunately the book is to distributed amongst 'older' readers, which rules out the 'hyperlink' approach in my case. I guess the final book may well end up having a 'scrapbook' feel to it.

When I started the project I stupidly thought that I would have it 'finished' in a few months. Of course, I now realise that the project is never-ending. The last six months have been a real adventure, like a giant treasure hunt. I have discovered postcards with great-great grandparents pictured on them, references in books 100 years old, wills, apprentice authorisation forms from the 1850's..   never did I think it would be so addicitve and interesting. I'm completely hooked!   ;D

Many thanks to all of you for your wonderful ideas  :)

BLACKHAM - Great Bridge/Tipton/West Bromwich; BALL - West Bromwich; JOHNSON - West Bromwich/Tipton/Dudley; WHARTON - West Bromwich; COOPER - Surrey; ALDERTON - Surrey/Essex; SEELEY - Coventry/Wales; JONES - Wales (!)

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 10:13 BST (UK) »
Maybe you could include a time line or similar?

The top of the line could be what was happening in your family at the time, Births marriages etc and the bottom of the line could be what was happening in the wider world, The Boer War, Fire of London, the Civil War etc etc

Sometimes when I am engrossed in the research of a particular line I forget what was happening at the time, Then I look at the date and think "My God they were alive during the Napoleonic wars"  or whatever.

I don't know about anybody else, but I used to love history in school. My only complaint was that it was "state history", not "people history". I know that to a certain extent they are inter-related. Through genealogy I finally have a chance to learn what impact the major (and minor) historical events i studied had on MY family. I enables my to better understand why family X moved from one county to another a certain time. Etc

Anyway I'm digressing....
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline craggus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 10:27 BST (UK) »
I don't know about anybody else, but I used to love history in school.

Funnily enough I hated history lessons with a passion, couldn't see the point of it at all. And yet I love family tree research. Dunno what that says about me, lol   :-\
BLACKHAM - Great Bridge/Tipton/West Bromwich; BALL - West Bromwich; JOHNSON - West Bromwich/Tipton/Dudley; WHARTON - West Bromwich; COOPER - Surrey; ALDERTON - Surrey/Essex; SEELEY - Coventry/Wales; JONES - Wales (!)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 10:34 BST (UK) »
Lovely idea, Amy.  I'll definitely do something along those lines for a later edition !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 10:36 BST (UK) »
Amy,

That is a great idea,  putting the people into context,  as it were.

I think I will do that with mine.   ;D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 11:27 BST (UK) »
When I wrote up my fathers side I hadn't got very far back(1821) so I padded it out with events.  I wondered if they had cheered in the streets when Mafeking was relieved etc.  A lot of it was conjecture but the older rellies loved it.

I haven't got any further back but have learned a lot about the East End of London where they lived so the next one will be more padding.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 15:52 BST (UK) »
At the end of my book I put a timeline of the significant family births, deaths etc. and the national or world events that had occurred during that year.  A half-sister was disappointed to discover that the only important event the year she was born was the invention of polythene.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline JDG

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Member
  • Butcher & Orlando One Name Studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

What a wonderful topic this is. I wish I was more creative with a flow, if you know what I mean, but I always find that, that, does not come easily.

I personally, would go the scrapbook route, adding photos and pictures and bring it alive with census material and perhaps even a copy of their signitures on marriage certificates, How many can really visualise our ancestors writing? That is a nice touch and brings it alive.

Does anyone else keep a diary? I don't just mean, one with appointments, but a true diary, with thoughts and "bits" in.

I have always kept a diary - Just a A5 nice hardback note book. My current one had a rather nice William Morris print cover. Anyway, I just write the date and write away. if I go anywhere & I want to make a note or add something, like a ticket I do. I also add research notes that I have done in it, and any thoughts that come to mind, and perhaps where to research next. I started in my late teens and have piles of them in the study. I just hope one day they will be preserved and not dumped!
Regards,
Julie

Researching:
ORLANDO - One Name Study (everywhere & especially Sutera Sicily) - (GOONS 3925)
BUDD (Puttenham Surrey)
ELSTONE (Bramshott Hampshire)
GOUCHER (Scarcliffe Derbyshire)
MATTHEWS, Edith married Charles JELLEY 1902 Guildford. Descendants sought!
WORSHIP - One Name Study (especially Huntingdonshire)- (GOONS 3925)
BUTCHER - One Name Study (especially Wonersh Surrey) - (GOONS 3925)
Puttenham Surrey - One Place Study
Sutera Sicily - One Place Study

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 22:09 BST (UK) »
I just think you are all brilliant!   I have promised someone a copy of one of the trees I have on the computer and when I looked at it the other day I realised that is going to be 42 pages wide x 3 pages deep - A4!   I hope you will all spare me a thought when I start sticking it together!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk