Author Topic: Elizabeth Woolsey  (Read 10787 times)

Offline Englishlever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Woolsey
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Herling & Wagtail, This thread is quite old, so not sure if you are picking up notificatations.

Thomas Woolsey is my paternal Great Grandfather, and my Grandfather was Stanley who married Caroline Maud Bright.

I'd obviously be very interested in contact with you as I've quite a bit of info on the family (no surprises there then) <BG>

For quite a while I was also under the impression that Thomas's wife's maiden name was Cardinal, and later found it to be Cardell.
I first became aware of the Cardinal myth when told at my father's funeral by his elder and only remaining brother.

Offline Herling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Still picking up messages and look forward to more information my grandmother was Edith who married John William Bright.

Offline Englishlever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Herling,
Caroline Maud Bright (my G.Grandmother) was I believe the sister of John William Bright, Dad told me she died of leukaemia when he was around 6 years of age.

Before Dad died, he gave me a list of his mother's siblings.
I don't have the list or my other research notes to hand right now, but I think one of them was called 'Ally', does it sound familiar.

Did Edith live in the cottage smack on the railway crossing in Spalding?
I remember visiting a Gt Aunt there with a cousin when we used to watch the old Steam trains rattling through the station - before the 'Beeching' axe fell. (Now I'm really feeling old) ;D
I remember a small very sweet and quite elegant lady living on her own, not sure if I've got the right person though.
Certainly seemed a bit 'posh' to us urchins way back then.
Ring any bells???

Offline Kim McCarthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 00:11 GMT (UK) »
I have a Thomas Woolsey born c1850 who married Elizabeth Cardwell. Their Children:
Stanley
Florrie
Edith
Minnie
Elizabeth
Thomas
George
Betsey
 Minnie is my Gt Grandmother.

Could we be related distantly of course!

:)

Offline Kim McCarthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any photographs of Elizebeth woolsey or Thomas they are my great grandparents

Thomas Woolsey owned Woosley Asphalt of Spalding

Offline Kim McCarthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Thomas is teh middle gentleman, Betsey is there too. Their son George on the right.

Offline Kim McCarthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Did Edith live in the cottage smack on the railway crossing in Spalding?
I remember visiting a Gt Aunt there with a cousin when we used to watch the old Steam trains rattling through the station - before the 'Beeching' axe fell. (Now I'm really feeling old) ;D
I remember a small very sweet and quite elegant lady living on her own, not sure if I've got the right person though.
Certainly seemed a bit 'posh' to us urchins way back then.
Ring any bells???

My dad remembers going to the wake after his mothers funeral (Doris, daughter of Minnie Woolsey) and it being at a house where the garden backed on to a railway bridge. Could this be the same? any idea on the address?

:)

Offline Englishlever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 10:33 GMT (UK) »
"My dad remembers going to the wake after his mothers funeral (Doris, daughter of Minnie Woolsey) and it being at a house where the garden backed on to a railway bridge. Could this be the same? any idea on the address?"

It sounds very likely, the cottage was at the side of the railway crossing just outside Spalding, situated at the base of the old footbridge,

I've just checked on Google maps and worked back from Hereward Road where my Grandfather (Stanley Woolsey) lived, it appears that the old footbridge and crossing gates along with the cottage have all gone, with just automatic barriers there now, the gates were manually operated back then and would have needed a gatekeeper,

I've copied the map location and address from the map image, if you copy/paste the grid location into google search it'll take you to the exact spot, you'll need to click on the image in the bottom left of the screen to take you to to satellite image,
Curiously, the overhead image shows what could have been the old cottage to the left of the crossing, but if you pan out to street level, it's all gone:

77 Winsover Road
Spalding
PE11 1EQ, UK
52.786504, -0.158999

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 14:36 GMT (UK) »
77 Winsover Rd is now new house(s).

In 1939 register, that address was a grocer's, William ALLEN.

Present StreetView http://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.786501,-0.158902,137.15h,-3.88p,1z
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.