Author Topic: births  (Read 746 times)

Offline chaddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
births
« on: Monday 30 January 06 23:48 GMT (UK) »
hi all,
could someone tell me if a birth had to be registered in 1897?i have my grandad george thorne,s army papers and on them it states he was born in st pancreas,in 1897.But i have applied for his birth cert,and they cannot find him.i have his parents names and his brother and sisters births,george was the middle child.
thank you for any help i may recieve
kindest regards
debbie
DEBBIE IS RESEARCHING
THORNE/MIDDLESEX,KENT,DEVON
HUMPHREY/SURREY
SIMS AND EAGLESTONE/ KENT
RADLETT/HEREFORDSHIRE

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Meliora

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: births
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Debbie,

Between 1837, the start of the Civil Registration, to 1875 parents were "encouraged" to register their baby, but many did not.   After 1875 it became mandatory to register the birth, if this was not done within 6 weeks of the birth, a fine could be levied, but it seems that sometimes some slipped thro' the net.   It was not unkown for parents to register the babies birth giving a date within the 6 weeks when in reality the baby was older.

So, when looking for a birth registration, it is best to search a spread of years around the supposedly known date.

In the case of your grandpa, can I ask when he joined the army?  It was known fact that young teenagers, on joining up, would give a false birth date.   You have the dates of his siblings, so a blanket search of the years between their birth dates might show him.

Post what details you have & let us Lookeruppers have a go.

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Could he have been Harold George, march 1898 Pancras?

Do you have him on the 1901 census to check his age?

Tanja  :) 
"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chaddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 21:17 GMT (UK) »
hi
thank you both for your replies.
my granada joined the army 4.12.1911,aged 14yrs and 282days,as an errand boy.
i think i have my grandad on the 1901 census,as aged 4,and birth not known,his brother joseph is also on the 1901 census,as birth not know,but i have josephs birth cert.george(my grandad)also had a sister maria,i have her birth cert but cannot find her on the 1901 census.both maria and joseph were born in woolwich,but my grandads birth isnt registered there.
my grandad george and joseph ended up living in the dartford workhouse,but i have no idea where maria went,she didnt go into the workhouse.george was later boarded out to a lady called rebecca e sims,of 72 bexley rd,belvdere,whom is also on his army papers as his foster mother,and on the papers about the dartford workhouse that i have recieved.
my great grandad (also called george thorne)was issued with a warrant for   neglecting his children,but as far as i can gather i think he must have just dissappeared,his wife sarah ann smith had died by 1904,so i assume she had a terminal illness of some sort,as she may have been ill for a while,which is why my gt grandad couldnt cope,but its a guess.
my grandad always maintained he had brothers in canada,so whether his dad dissappeared over there and kept in touch with him,i have no idea.
thanks
take care
debbie
DEBBIE IS RESEARCHING
THORNE/MIDDLESEX,KENT,DEVON
HUMPHREY/SURREY
SIMS AND EAGLESTONE/ KENT
RADLETT/HEREFORDSHIRE