Author Topic: Ashworth/Noble family bible  (Read 14907 times)

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
Ashworth/Noble family bible
« on: Tuesday 31 January 06 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I came across a family bible recently belonging to the Ashworth and Noble families. Jonas Noble and his wife Martha (nee Ashworth) emigrated to Queensland in 1873. Their bible is in Brisbane owned by Don, phone number *******. I found it when I went to a garage sale last w/e, but didn't have a spare $50 to buy it. I took digital pics of the data and have it on a gedcom if anyone is interested. The Ashworths came from Rochdale: John and his 2 wives, both named Mary. There is also a 2 page document written by John Ashworth with a verse from Burns quoted for his first wife, but just stating that his second one died.
I should love to see the bible go to where it will be appreciated— it is in a poor state of repair at present. If you just want the data however, please contact me.
Rian.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ashworth/Noble family bible
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rian

What a great find!!.....hope it can be re-united with it's owners!!

I've just contacted a guy on GR who has a Jonas Noble b.1849 in Rochdale listed.........you never know!!!......

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline flinders

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 06 01:24 GMT (UK) »
It would be great to reunite the family with this bible -
Do you have any other names and dates so we maybe able to track someone
Mornington peninsula History - Flinders Cricket and Football club - HMAS Cerberus History

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Flinders,
I made a little gedcom out of what I have using Reunion 8 (I use a Mac). Would you like me to send it to you? It's a bit long to put up here.
I'll just post the last generation in case it rings any bells with someone:

Jonas Noble  b1813 married Martha Ashworth b 1817
Children:
Ann  1848
Philip 1850
Jonas Ashworth 1852
John  1854
Harry 1855 - 1859
William 1862

I have all their birthdays including time of birth.

Martha's father was John Ashworth b 1789, her mother Mary Shepherd b 1789.

Thanks for the offer to help, Rian.
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.

Offline Joy From Rochdale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 January 17 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm from Rochdale, Lancashire.
I just found your post while googling looking for info on my great grandfather Jonas Noble. Not the Jonas you mention but his nephew, son of Philip Noble born 1811. I also have a family bible - that of my gg granddad Philip Noble brother of Jonas who went to Queensland with his wife Martha Ashworth and their bible.
I am really interested in any data you have especially as on my other, maternal side I have a great grandfather Ashworth who married a Shepherd.

If you still have that gedcom I would love to receive it.
Joy xx

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 January 17 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joy
I can send you a gedcom but will need your email address. It is not recommended to post that here, so will need to be via a rootschat private message. Unfortunately as you are a new member I can only message you when you have more than 3 posts (I suppose it's to prove you aren't a robot!) – so go ahead and post some more, then message me and we can get going. I can send you photos of the bible scans and may be able to contact you to another Noble relative too.
Cheers, Rian
Researching:

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 January 17 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Rian A gedcom would be brilliant. This is the first message to get me up to 3, another in a minute.
Silly really as I've been using Rootsweb 'for ever' just not recently. This is 'your' Jonas in my family tree file - on Rootsweb.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~joybobsalt/10550.HTM
It's out of date as the way I created it became unmanageable. I have my up to date full one on Ancestry.
jOY XX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 January 17 11:17 GMT (UK) »
And then I had the brilliant idea (goodness know why I've not done it before to scan my bible family tree into the computer so here are my GG Grandparents Philip Noble and wife Jane Robertshaw (who I've never yet traced as the name is too common despite having her (pre 1837) date of birth.

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 January 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Same edition of the bible by the look of it – yours matches mine! I think yours had better handwriting though  :)
Gedcom, bible pics and census info on it's way in 2 emails – make sure you can get 4.6 MB files.
Researching: