Author Topic: Looking for my Roberts family from Llanfihangel Y Nhowyn  (Read 9421 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Looking for my Roberts family from Llanfihangel Y Nhowyn
« on: Tuesday 31 January 06 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am looking for my welsh ancestors

My 3 xGreat Grandfathers family - he was David Roberts married to a Sarah ? (marriage about 1835) and they farmed/owned a farm called Cerrig Cynrig at Llanfihangel Y Nhowyn

They had Margaret (who I think married a John Owen), Catherine (my Gt Gt Grandmother) who went into service and married a Catchpole from Suffolk, Jane, Grace, Thomas & Griffith.  I have found members of this family in most of the census years except 1841 which I don't have access to, unfortunatly David the father died before 1851 so as yet I have no clues to his date of birth.

Does anyone have access to the 1841 census for this area and can they find the family with DAvid still alive to give me some more clues to go further back?

Any ideas where is the best place to start looking for the marriage of Sarah & David in about 1835 (she was born about 1805 in Gwalchmai) I should love to find her maiden name.

Are there any very local people around? - does the farm Cerrig Cynrig still exsist?

and finally as I am asking all these questions prior to a planned visit to Anglesey Records Office - is it going to be difficult to research this myself as I don't speak any Welsh?

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rich32825

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my Roberts family from Llanfihangel Y Nhowyn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

From the 1841 Census, I did find Cerrig Cynrig in Llanfihangel yn Nhowyn.

David Roberts, age 65
Sarah, age 35
Owen, age 15
Margaret, age 5
Catherine, age 3
Jane, age 10 months
William Griffith, Ag lab, looks like age 14 (hard to read)
Jane Hughes, Servant, age 15

If you scroll down this board, you will see my post about John Owen of Llanfihangel yn Nhowyn. I was very excited when I saw that your Margaret married a John Owen. Cerrig Cynrig is only 14 farms away from Henblas where my family lived. Unfortunately, the John that I referred to married Elizabeth. His son John II married Ann and John II's son John III married Jane. John II would be the closest in age to your Margaret.

John Owen is such a common name. Sometimes I think it would be easier to find John Smith. But, who knows, perhaps your John Owen is the son of my John's brothers or sister. Or, perhaps there is no connection at all.

Anyway, keep in touch and if we can share information perhaps we can find a connection.

Regards,

Richard Owens       :)
Owen, Owens, Wright, Roberts, Ross, Griffiths, Greenfield, and more

"The Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

Thank you so much for theinformation from the 1841 census - that was just what I wanted - interesting that Davdi was so much older than his wife, a big clue when trying to track down his baptism.  I did see your post about another Owen/Roberts liason - but couldn't see where it fitted in either - I will bare it in mind when I am looking for my lot.  Have you had chance to look at the reigsters for Llanfihangel yn Nhowyn at all - I am very much hopeing to go to Anglesey to the records office in the next few weeks (if I can find a cheep hotel deal).

Finally you sound as though you know where Cerrig Cynrig is in Llanfihangel yn Nhowyn (or did you just count through the census entries) - I have not managed to find it on any maps yet - any joy?

All the best for now - if I find anything further I will get back to you

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rich32825

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Debbie,

You're right, I just counted the census entries   ;D

I haven't looked at the Parish Registers. I'm in Orlando and do my research on the net, through the mail and with the help of fellow genealogists in Wales. So, I can't be of much help to you.

If you find anything of interest during your trip to Anglesey, please let me know.

Rich Owens
Owen, Owens, Wright, Roberts, Ross, Griffiths, Greenfield, and more

"The Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 January 10 14:16 GMT (UK) »
the farm Cerrig Cynrig is still afarm its a small holding and is located on the A5 main road just outside Caergeiliog  5 miles from Holyhead
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline Draigcoch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 January 10 16:14 GMT (UK) »
You don't have to speak Welsh to read the records in Llangefni Records office, if you go upstairs when you get there they will give you a members reading card and each ledger will be brought out to you as you need to study them.
I also have Roberts in my family from a farm in Amlwch, but they are on a back burner at the moment as I have hit a brick wall with them.
So as long as you have Names and Dates you should have success, take a notebook and pencil which is all you are allowed to use, they have lockers for your bags etc.They are very helpful, so don't hesitate to ask.
Check their opening hours as they do vary, especially on a Tuesday and there is free parking. Good Luck with your search.
Surrey:Adams Crockford Samuel Twine Parsons Atkin Westbrook
Somerset/Cardiff: Ellard Brooks
Anglesey: Williams Jones Pritchard Burnell
Liverpool/Scotland: McEwan Stobbo

Offline welshgammon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for my welsh ancestors

My 3 xGreat Grandfathers family - he was David Roberts married to a Sarah ? (marriage about 1835) and they farmed/owned a farm called Cerrig Cynrig at Llanfihangel Y Nhowyn

They had Margaret (who I think married a John Owen), Catherine (my Gt Gt Grandmother) who went into service and married a Catchpole from Suffolk, Jane, Grace, Thomas & Griffith.  I have found members of this family in most of the census years except 1841 which I don't have access to, unfortunatly David the father died before 1851 so as yet I have no clues to his date of birth.

Does anyone have access to the 1841 census for this area and can they find the family with DAvid still alive to give me some more clues to go further back?

Any ideas where is the best place to start looking for the marriage of Sarah & David in about 1835 (she was born about 1805 in Gwalchmai) I should love to find her maiden name.

Are there any very local people around? - does the farm Cerrig Cynrig still exsist?

and finally as I am asking all these questions prior to a planned visit to Anglesey Records Office - is it going to be difficult to research this myself as I don't speak any Welsh?

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Debbie

Offline welshgammon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 00:48 BST (UK) »
Helo,  My Great Grandmother,  was called Margaret who married a John Owen
She died when she was 40, and John Owen died when he was 80 , both are buried in Llangwyllog, Anglesey Cemetry.  Margaret Owen died 13th sept, 1913 and john owen died december 1948.  My Grandmother was only 8 when she lost her mother, and she had a cousin who lived in cerring cynrig, whi wrote the novel madam wen, just wondering if there is any connection .

Only joined today, so a bit new to this

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 00:57 BST (UK) »
Welshgammon
welcome to Rootschat  :)

This post on Madam Wen will be of interest:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6e3s7c7vtiq35nnuq6reos0s15&topic=415948.0

modified - Sorry DebbieG, didn't mean to hijack your post, and your search for Roberts ancestors   

Morgan