Author Topic: 1823 Pigot's Directory request  (Read 3342 times)

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1823 Pigot's Directory request
« on: Wednesday 01 February 06 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Does anyone have access to the 1823 Pigot's Directory?

I am looking for a John CLEMENT of York Street, London, (York Street looks to be in Westminster).

John is the brother of my gt x4 grandmother. We knew that he died in 1823 but I have just found an obituary for him in a Dumfries paper (where his family came from) which makes me wonder if he was some sort of tradesman, as it talks of him being a 'master'. The quote is below:

"Dumfries Courier Newspaper 27th May 1823.

On the 15th instant on board the smack King George, on his way from Leith to London (where he had been for the recovery of his health) Mr.John Clement of York Street London, ... aged 33 years. He was a most affectionate and dutiful son,an exemplary brother, a kind and indulgent master, and one of the most sincere and best of friends to his surviving relatives..."

If anyone has a Pigot's I would be most grateful if you could have a quick look to see if he features in it at all in York Street, as I would be very interested to know his employment

Interestingly, in a family diary of the 1850s, we are told that he died "after getting into the River Thames", which would suggest that the smack King George had nearly finished its voyage when John died, presumably drowned?? If anyone can suggest where I could look for a possible report of the accident (if it was an accident) or obituary in a London newspaper, that would be splendid.

Many thanks

Jo