Author Topic: Can anyone Help ?? Place Name.  (Read 4403 times)

Offline LancsLass

• I am sorry but my emails address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • All Census information is Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Can anyone Help ?? Place Name.
« on: Wednesday 22 September 04 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone with contacts with Staffordshire might be able to help on the place of birth of my GtGtGrandfather...
John Davies was according to the 1881 census, born Staffordshire.
The 1871...is the mystery..the enumerator has seen fit to put a  black line through most of the place name...
It would appear to start with the letter  T  and then 2 other letters ??
Any clues out there ???
Finding a John Davies with a father John Davies was never going to be easy..but the enumerator has just made it twice as difficult..
Be grateful for any help....
Many thanks..
LancsLass >:(
Scott,Hampshire,Kidger,Iles/Isles,Buckley,Winterbottom,Broadbent.Davenport,Lancashire,Yorkshire.
Eastwood, Eckersley, Newton,Partington,Forth, Smethurst,Stalker,Simpson,Oldham,Lancashire Lancashire.
Manning,Dobson,Bramwell,Sims/Syms,Cheshire,Staffordshire,Lancashire,Devon,Guernsey,Channel Islands.
Mallalieu/Mellodew. Ashton-u-Lyne/Saddleworth.

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone Help ?? Place Name.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi LancsLass,

Can you post an image of the place name?we might be able to work it out :)

Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline LancsLass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick...How do i do that ? I'm not very well up on the technical side .
 ???
Lancs Lass
Scott,Hampshire,Kidger,Iles/Isles,Buckley,Winterbottom,Broadbent.Davenport,Lancashire,Yorkshire.
Eastwood, Eckersley, Newton,Partington,Forth, Smethurst,Stalker,Simpson,Oldham,Lancashire Lancashire.
Manning,Dobson,Bramwell,Sims/Syms,Cheshire,Staffordshire,Lancashire,Devon,Guernsey,Channel Islands.

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you have an image that you want to post,here are the instructions  :)

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11157.msg36411#msg36411

Hope this helps,Mick ;)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 23:55 BST (UK) »
There are not many towns and villages beginning with T in Staffs. Those with quite short names, listed in likely order from your description are:
Tixall
Trysall
Tipton
 :-\
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LancsLass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 September 04 07:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks..but it does seem that there are only three letters. it has been suggested it might very well start with a  L  ie;  Lee or Lea ?? its very faded.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 September 04 08:22 BST (UK) »
No short village names with L. The best idea is, as Mick put the image here and someone will solve  it  we always do.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LancsLass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 October 04 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone........Just thought i would keep you all up to date (you have all been so kind) popped along today to the Family History Fair at Manchester Velodrome....
Amonst the stalls was the Birmoingham and Midland   Soc...North Staffordshire Branch.....
What a great team and incredably helpful !!!!
I explained my problem with John Davies and his place of birth Tea??? and the answer came straight away........they are pretty certain its Tean..(Lower)
Fingers crossed now, will try and see what comes up for a registration for a John Davies in Cheadle...
Many thanks to you all and three cheers for the Staffordshire Branch.......... :D