Author Topic: Dobbins (Dobbyns) family..where do they come from ?  (Read 12353 times)

Offline jdslemish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dobbins (Dobbyns) family..where do they come from ?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 June 11 23:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information and the link, I shell many hours of research now.
J.D.

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
On familysearch.org there is a wedding of a Peter Dobbyn in Dublin Sth Qtr 4 1912, which matches the index details, including Volume and Page numbers as a record for a Mary M Cullen. 
marriage: Peter Dobbyn Oct./Dec.1912 Dublin South registration district, volume 2 page 644

There are fixed threads at the top of the list that tell you how to order a marriage cert from the General Registry Office using the above details.

Looking at  Dublin South in the 1911 census, thete is this likely hit for that Peter, notwithstanding the different spelling.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/South_Dock/Power_s_Court/86357/

Also in that census, just around the corner from Power's Court, is probably the Mary M Cullen of the 1912 wedding:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/South_Dock/Verschoyle_Place/85248/

The intriguing thing is that a little way further around the corner is a very well known restaurant called Dobbins Bistro, open since around 1974.  Do you know of any connection?

I have more about Peter's parents Patrick Dobbins and Mary Kenny which i'll post in a new message. Here's a brother of Peter for starters.
Area - DUBLIN (RC) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. ANDREW
Baptism (RC) of Patrick DOBBINS of 40 Powers Court 1888, parents Patrick Dobbins & Mary Kenny. Sponsors: Patrick Kenny, Teresa Kenny.
Book Number 30 Page 89 Record_Identifier DU-RC-BA-267274
Link to this record is
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/8074a51204983

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 22:55 BST (UK) »
Peter appears to be living in Upper Leeson Street in 1937 accirding to the electoral registers.  A couple of doors away there is also a Michael Dobbins

Click here

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 23:22 BST (UK) »
In 1901 Peter's mother Mary is already widowed, living with son Patrick:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/South_Dock/Powers_Court/1351600/

The most likely hit I can see for Peter in 1901 is at an industrial school run by the Oblate order near Enniskerry Co. Wicklow, which is just outside Dublin.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Powerscourt/Aurora/1812072/

It appears that Mary M Cullen was being referred to as Margaret in 1901, assuming the Mary Jane mother in this record is the same Mary Jane who was widowed in Verschoyle Court in 1911. If so, then Margaret/Mary M's father was Michael.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/South_Dock/Stephen_s_Lane/1351714/

Back to the Dobbins, at this link are 2 more siblings if Peter and a baptism record for a Patrick Dobbins which might be the Patrick who is Peter's Dad.
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/search.jsp?name=patrick+dobbin&location=&dd=&mm=&yy=&submit=Search

Offline jard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks John
I had been digging through the irish genealogy site and found some of those entries, but you've  highlighted some I didn't find, so thank you for that, and for finding a couple of extra family I didn't know existed.  ...Don't stop now....keep going. ;D

My father, who was obviously a 'Dobbins'  was born in powerscourt in 1921, and oddly enough, his birthplace is almost on the same spot where the Dobbins bistro now stands. I've tried looking for a link to my family, and although there were a few of them living in powerscourt area , nothing has surfaced to tie them to the business.... Strange coincidence !!

I'm still going through the info. so may find some more. I 'think' you've found g grandfather Patrick for me, which gives me another level, and I just need to confirm it.  Thanks again   for your help, and if you come across any more 'Dobbins' ...please remember me !!
Regards
John
Dobbins / Cullen / Walsh / Kenny    (Ireland...Dublin)
Ticehurst / Elliott / Reed / Potter / Baulcom / Verrall    ( Sussex)
Spackman / Lighten / Leighton     ( Essex)
Martin / Jukes      ( Kent....Maidstone....Farleigh)

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 June 11 00:20 BST (UK) »

No problem, glad to help.  I guess you're around Dublin somewhere so apologies if I assumed you were abroad somewhere.

You may have these already but I've gone a little further back on Mary Margaret Cullen and parents.  The following link has a set of search results which includes Mary Margaret's baptism in 1893 (also various siblings including an older sibling Mary who may have died as an infant before Mary Margaret was born) as well as the 1882 wedding of Mary Margaret's parents, Michael Cullen and Mary Jane Walsh.  That record gives you the names of the couple's fathers, another Michael Cullen and John Walsh.
http://goo.gl/u10yX

Will keep an eye out for more.  All the best.

Offline jard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 June 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks again John....you're spoiling me now ......  and it's all right to carry on. :)

I'm living in England but as I still have family in Dublin and Kildare, I do cross the pond every once in a while...

Take good care
Regards
John
Dobbins / Cullen / Walsh / Kenny    (Ireland...Dublin)
Ticehurst / Elliott / Reed / Potter / Baulcom / Verrall    ( Sussex)
Spackman / Lighten / Leighton     ( Essex)
Martin / Jukes      ( Kent....Maidstone....Farleigh)

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 June 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
Taking a lead from Ellen Cullen being a witness for Michael Cullen jr’s wedding in 1882, I found Ellen’s birth in 1857 (on www.irishgenealogy.ie):

Area - Dublin (RC) , Parish - St. Andrew
Baptism of Ellen Cullen 7 Verscoil Place on n/r n/r 1859
Date of birth n/r n/r 1859 
Father Michael Cullen 
Mother Margret 
Sponsor 1 Phelix Doyle
Sponsor 2 Anne Fay

Then i found another sibling of Michael jr at Verschoyle Place, this time showing Michael jr’s mother’s name as Margaret Seymour :

Baptism of John Joseph Cullen 12 Verschoyle Place on n/r n/r 1869
Father Michael Cullen 
Mother Margaret Seymour 
Sponsor 1 Peter Byrne
Sponsor 2 Margaret O'Brien

(This john joseph may have been known as joseph, or else an older probable sibling called john, born in 1861 to michael cullen and “margt seavers” may have died young.  Despite the mistranscription of seymour, this should be the same couple as the address is given as 7 verschoyle place.)

Next i got the wedding for michael cullen snr and margaret seymour in 1850:

Marriage of Michael Cullen and Margaret Seymour on 23 September 1850
Name Michael Cullen  Margaret Seymour 
Address n/r  n/r 
Occupation n/r  n/r 
Father Cullen  Seymour 
Mother n/r  n/r 
Witness 1 Francis Flanagan
Witness 2 Anne Darcy

If you search in St Andrew RC parish for "Michael Cullen" and each of "Margaret", "Margret" and "Margt" in turn, you’ll get a number of their children’s births, including Michael jr in 1856.

Offline jdslemish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 June 11 23:51 BST (UK) »
They say history repeats itself and sure looks like it in the Dobbin family. I have a Thomas Dobbin born 1867 (son of Henry) married Sara McCullen their children were Annie Vera and Henry. The names Dobbin and McCullen are not very common so whats the chances of two different marriages, just to confuse me more. They were also not too original in picking first names I am confounded as I have too many williams, thomas's and henry to sort out not to mention william-henry and william dash any other name also cissie and nellie are cropping up a lot!!!
On a brighter note I have enjoyed reading the other posts, you guys are really good at this, hopefully some day I can tie into the information you provide.
On a side note I have a list of Dobbin births and marriages for the parish of duneane from about 1835 if any of you think your relatives are from here (toomebridge/moneyglass in county antrim)
cheers J.D.