Author Topic: KEMP, MITCHELL, EMSLIE, REID  (Read 13796 times)

Offline Glendaveny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KEMP, MITCHELL, EMSLIE, REID
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 December 06 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill.   

I know Lumphanan and area very well - I've spent several holidays in the National Trust Cottages at Craigievar and I've done a lot of 'rooting around' in the Kirkyard.

My GGG Grandfather James Kemp was at Mains of Gilgerrie.  My GG Grandfather John Kemp married Margaret Emslie, daughter of Harry Emslie and Ann Kemp.  He was a tenant at various farms - Mill Maud, Burnside and Boghead of Perkhill.  My G Grandfather was James Kemp and he also farmed Boghead of Perkhill.   My grandmother was born there.

You'll find stone for most of these people in the Kirkyard.  If not related, your ancestors and mine must have known each other very well!  Email me direct if you would like to compare notes - *

Kath

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
I am researching Kemp, Emslie, Mitchell in Lumphanan, Aberdeenshire; Marshall, Shewan and Adie in Longside/Peterhead, Aberdeenshire; Still, Sim, Duncan and Andrew in Boyndie/Fordyce Banffshire; Niven, Bruce, Ross, Robert in Fetteresso / Durris, Kincardineshire.

I have been researching for over 20 years and have a very extensive tree involving each of those names, proven back to the early 18th century in some cases.

Offline daviren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 January 07 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I have not established a connection for my (wife's) Kemp ancestry back to Lumphannan, but the Christian names I have come across for that area match those in my wife's family. Her Kemp connections were from Tough, then Newhills, Belhelvie, Peterculter areas roughly in that order. There is a 'Mitchell Kemp' to be found at http://www.phlomis.plus.com/f_1f6.htm#1 and, again, although I have not established a link to my wife, the anecdotal evidence suggests he is distantly related to her.

The earliest Kemp I have was a James Kemp born C1785 who married a Barbara Lawson. Their first born, William Kemp was born at Kincraigie, Tough after which they appear to have moved to Newhills.

I don't have any Emslie or Reid in the Kemp line.

would be interested to hear what you have on this family and would be happy to share my information with you.

David

Offline emslie2m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 March 07 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I have found my Emslie tree that goes back to Alexander Emslie  who married  Jane Simson  on the 25 September 1793 . Their off spring  John 1794 ,Alexander 1795,Mary1797,Rebecca 1799,Margaret 1811, Mary 1797,Jean 1809.                                                                                                                                                  Alexander  the son of the above married Margeret Copland  and Christian  Stewart or Stuart  died January 27 1875 at Parkgreens lumphanan.                                                                                                                       Their off spring Ann 1858 ,Robert 1856, James 1841, Frances 1856.                                                                                                                                             

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 00:15 BST (UK) »
I have a Janet Kemp from Cabrach who married a Peter Mitchell in Cabrach.
not sure if they are the same.
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Mitchell  - Fraser, Murray, Gauld, Metcalfe, Anderson,
Shand, Thain, Robson.

Offline emslie2m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 05:09 BST (UK) »
my emslie  family lived at Quithalhead lumphanan,James emslie head of the family was the son of Alexander Emslie and Christina Stewart  ( Stuart) from Coull. James was born in 1834 and was living in strathdon in 1841 census,and living with relations  wih his brother frances who was born in 1835 and sister Catherine who was born 9/3/1832. James married Ann Stewart  on the 20 /2/1868  Ann  father was John Stewart living at Newton of camphill Lumphanan. Ann mother Elizabeth Williams.The 1871 census shows family staying at Quithalhead Lumphanan  James 37, ANN 34 ,JANE 5,JAMES 2.  ROBER Kemp & wife Isabella and family  were also staying at Quithalhead ,Hellen 23,JOHN 15,MARY 11,JESSIE 6.

Offline woiiftm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 May 07 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have an ancestor Alexander Kemp who married a Janet Emslie on 9/12/1789 in Rayne.
Known to have a son Alexander and a daughter Janet born circa 1796.
My interest is in the Kemp line which I've traced down through, Old Machar to Dundee and Glasgow.
If you think any of this may be of use to you then please get in touch.

Cheers.

Offline tonyo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 June 07 16:35 BST (UK) »
hi my name's tony, my ggg grandparents were william emslie(b.1801) and barbara middleton(b.1801). i am interested in tracing barbara's family through her parents robert and jane/jean(duncan). robert's parents were james and jane(copland).
      william emslie was a kirk officer,i wondered if anyone could tell me what this meant exactly.
      there are an awful lot of emslies around the lumphanan/aboyne/kin o  neil area, i am not surprised that there seems some confusion.

Offline billcraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am interested in Alexander Emslie who married Christine/Christina Stewart. You posted on 2007 about them. I have a John Stewart Emslie who was born abt 1818 and thought might be their son. I cannot find the family in 1841 - did Alex and Christina die? I looked at Strathdon births but could only find Catherine 1832.

John Stewart Emslie went to australia about 1858 and died there in 1875, unmarried.

Bill Craig

Offline kraatz04

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 August 12 04:06 BST (UK) »
The James Kemp, Barbara Lawson you have mentioned are my gggg grandparents and William Kemp is my ggg grandfather. All of these ancestors are on my grandfather's maternal side. His mother was Annie Kemp (daughter of Lauchlan who was the son of William) If you are wiling to share any information you have on James Kemp I would be grateful. I have been trying to find how his parents are and if there were any siblings.

Thanks,
Taramarie