Author Topic: KEMP, MITCHELL, EMSLIE, REID  (Read 13753 times)

Offline Glendaveny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KEMP, MITCHELL, EMSLIE, REID
« on: Friday 03 February 06 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Anyone researching these surnames in the Lumphanan area please get in touch as I have loads of information to share.
I am researching Kemp, Emslie, Mitchell in Lumphanan, Aberdeenshire; Marshall, Shewan and Adie in Longside/Peterhead, Aberdeenshire; Still, Sim, Duncan and Andrew in Boyndie/Fordyce Banffshire; Niven, Bruce, Ross, Robert in Fetteresso / Durris, Kincardineshire.

I have been researching for over 20 years and have a very extensive tree involving each of those names, proven back to the early 18th century in some cases.

Offline birseite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jean Gordon (1782 - bet 1851-1854) still missing
    • View Profile
Re: KEMP, MITCHELL, EMSLIE, REID
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 06 07:08 GMT (UK) »
My Emslie family was from Lumphanan.  James Emslie married to Isabella Glass 1877 in Birse.  James was the son of Alexander Emslie and Helen Ferries from Strachan Kincardineshire.  Do you know this family?

Because of the strong Lumphanan connection I have a feeling that perhaps the family originated in Lumphanan before Strachan - however I may be wrong. 

Any thoughts on this?

Sharon
EMSLIE / GLASS / GORDON / COUTTS / McKONDACH
From Birse and Strachan and surrounding parishes
Special interest in any family from the Parish of Birse or the Forest of Birse

Offline Glendaveny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 06 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon - I think we have been in touch before looking for a clear cut connection - and I don't think we found one.   My lot originate from Henry Emslie and Ann Kemp married 1804 in Kincardine O'Neil.   

But there are a whole lot of Emslies in that general area - I found loads during my research that I couldn't connect.   Strachan is not far away and neither is Birse.

Kath
I am researching Kemp, Emslie, Mitchell in Lumphanan, Aberdeenshire; Marshall, Shewan and Adie in Longside/Peterhead, Aberdeenshire; Still, Sim, Duncan and Andrew in Boyndie/Fordyce Banffshire; Niven, Bruce, Ross, Robert in Fetteresso / Durris, Kincardineshire.

I have been researching for over 20 years and have a very extensive tree involving each of those names, proven back to the early 18th century in some cases.

Offline birseite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 06 21:15 GMT (UK) »
I remember now ... I did try to contact you towards the end of the last year regarding your Henry.

I have been doing some research on the Gordon family in Kincardine O'Neil.  Alexander Gordon, innkeeper at K O'N had a sister Ann.  In Alexander's testament he states that Ann was the deceased spouse of Harry Emslie.  (You will know that Henry/Harry can be interchangeable),  They had one son, Alexander Emslie born 1800, who appears to have been raised by Alexander Gordon, innkeeper.  Just from memory (I will check), a Harry Emslie married Ann Gordon (? date), he had a son Alexander c1801 (again query date).  Then there is an entry for a Hary Emslie marrying ----- Kemp. 

I just wondered if Harry was the same as your Henry - any clues?? 

I will certainly check my notes more thoroughly and get back to you if you are interested. 

BTW, I have found evidence of a migration pattern between families in Lumphanan and Strachan.  William Emslie, spouse of Barbara Middleton is a Strachan man. 

Sharon 

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 February 06 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a John Emslie (1780-1845) son of William Emslie (0000-1824) and his wife Mary Anderson (1743-1820).

John married Catherine Lawson (1785-1864) @ Leochel, where they lived until the early 1820s, when they returned to Lumphanan.

Ysabeau
Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rsayle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 March 06 09:48 GMT (UK) »
William Emslie and Barbara Middleton are my 3rd great-grandparents... (thanks be to programs that keep track of relationships for me.)

It was easy to track back to them but William's death certificate says his parents were Peter Emslie and Isobel Wilson and I've not found any of their records.

I've developed (with assistance of two cousins) a very extensive family tree of the descendants of William and Barbara, plus those who married into the family, and would be interested in hearing from anyone who's related.

Always gets my interest when I see a family name mentioned in the Internet.

Offline birseite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 March 06 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Did you also come up with the fact that William Emslie was from Strachan (Kincardineshire).

My Alexander Emslie was born Strachan in 1807.  His parents were William Emslie & Janet Ferries. 

Alexander is buried in Strachan kirkyard and there is a row of Emslie graves, Alexander's, the children of William Emslie and Margaret Nichol, William Emslie's stone, a space and then a large rock which would have at one time been a monument I am sure.

Parents of the above William are James Emslie and Helen Grant.  I am convinced that this James Emslie and my William Emslie are brothers.

A third Emslie family is mentioned in the Strachan Parish Registers - that of Peter Emslie and Elspet Gove.  Does he fit somewhere in this equation also?

I too found the death certificate of your William Emslie and was a little confused with his parents - Peter Emslie and Isobel Wilson.  But what if the Strachan Peter Emslie married twice?

The Strachan OPR shows a William Emslie, son of Peter Emslie, being baptised 22 November 1796.

In 1799 Peter Emslie marries Elspet Gove and has issue.

I can find no mention of a marriage for a Peter Emslie and Isobel Wilson.  Not unusual ... but it is also possible this William was illegitimate, although it doesn't state that on his death certificate .. I have seen that sometimes.

Regardless, I have these three families in Strachan - I think there is a good chance they are related.

and just as an afterthought, my Alexander's son, James (my gt grandfather) also went to live in Lumphanan.  This makes me think that perhaps the Emslies came from there originally.

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 March 06 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have just come across a Jane Kemp, daughter of Alexander Kemp/Jane Coutts, born @ Lumphanan (04/03/1852).

She married William Craib @ St Nicholas (03/02/1877) and was living @ Tarland with husband and children in 1881 census

Ysabeau
Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emslie2m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 December 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
hi my name is bill emslie from lumphanan my greatgrand father farmed at broomhill croft lumphanan.my grand father farmed  at upper tillylair .my father mill farm lumphanan .my grand mother was a jamieson from kincardine o neil.