Author Topic: lawrence/jackson hunslet yorkshire  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Julie Gallagher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: lawrence/jackson hunslet yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 December 04 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I live in Hunslet, now a district of Leeds in West Yorkshire.  There is a Royal Place today but not the one your relatives would know.  Today's Royal Place is a street of 1970s council housing.  I remember the old 'Royals' from my childhood.  They were streets of Victorian, terraced, red-brick housing - the '2 up. 2 down' type of working people, where the toilets were in a yard down the street, shared by about six families.   There was usually a shop at the end of each street - grocer, hairdresser, fish and chip shop etc.  A very friendly community.  They were demolished in the 60s and replaced by the new estate.  The area in Hunslet is called Hunslet Carr.

Julie

Offline annette

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 December 04 21:13 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the information julie.  do you have any idea where my relatives could be buried in 1917 and 1920.  Do you have a local family history office in hunslett or are  any records now kept in leeds.   thanks annette
interested in jackson lawrence ault handley dalloway haines

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Try this website

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/

Like Kathy said if you contact Lawnswood they have all the details and maps of the cemteries in leeds and should be able to help you

Fitty
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline annette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 10:05 GMT (UK) »
thanks fitty i have only just got back to this site and have not had chance to do any research I forgot this informatio was already on this site only I have been doing that much overtime at work coming up to christmas that I do not kn ow whether I am coming or going as I work in a big toy shop so I have not been doing any research for some time..

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 12:09 GMT (UK) »
You're Santa Claus.....aren't you !
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Chortle! ;D
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline annette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 19:07 GMT (UK) »
yes you could say that I am santas helper and there are millions of toys said geoffrey.but it doesnt help with the old research.

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job !

Maybe if you put in a good word with the 'big fella in the red suit' you'll find some rellies in your stocking..

Meanwhile, I searched on the Yorkkshire bmd and the only Jackson/Lawrence listed (but not all transcribed as yet, remember) was :

Albert E JACKSON & Mary J LAWRENCE who married in 1901 at St Mary's the Virgin in Hunslet.

Maybe they fit into one of your families...you could try looking for them on the 1901 census....you never know where it might lead....also, St Mary's records might be worth looking at more closely.
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline annette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 21:56 GMT (UK) »
thanks kathy  for the information I will bear it all in mind

annette