Author Topic: Gracie or Gressy in Inch Parish  (Read 5321 times)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Gracie or Gressy in Inch Parish
« on: Saturday 04 February 06 09:45 GMT (UK) »
My knowledge is limited, I know that Andrew and John Gracie or Gressie, are listed in the parish census 1684, in the areas of Glenhappell and Meikle Cdreoch, Inch Parish, Wigtownshire, Scotland.  My family oral history is two brothers of our line fled to Ireland from Wigtownshire four years later during 1688, landing near Larne. Both went to support Lomdonderry. The older settled in 1690 in the Comber area, Co Down, the younger settling in Lurgan Co Armagh. Could these two be the brothers named above? There are only two other households relevant in Inch parish 1684, those of Eliz and Margrat Gracie or Gressie.  In the mid 1800s there is a remaining Gracey living in Inch parish. Are they all connectable! From previous clues one earlier Gracey came to Ireland from Dumfries under the undertaker Lord Annan, see Donegal Muster rolls etc.,but I don’t think they are related, even though their journey might well be through Inch parish.. Others may have come from the Aberdeen MacFarquarson Sept. The Gracey’s of Lurgan Armagh are well covered by http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/r/a/Cameron-Gracey/. Cameron is careful not to draw conclusions on the origins of the name, English, Scottish, French, Norman etc etc.also in Lurgan is the early coincidence of the family names Grayson and Gracey overlapping. He doesn’t seem to have a oral connection as my line had.  Inch parish has a fascinating history, it’s on the east side of Stranraer, and appears to be the epicentre for travel from Carlisle to the ‘Hammer of Scotland’ and up to Ayr, then the big seaport of the west Coast. The parish includes the Roman settlement capital Rerigoniumat at Innermessan, and no doubt traces of Ulster Scot!
I seek advice as to pursuing the history of these Gracie or Gressy within Wigtownshire. All suggestions welcomed eg Does anyone know of a detailed history of the parish.?

Also within Wigtownshire is Balgracie about 5 miles west of Inch, just nw of Stranraer. Does Balgracie mean the place of the Gracie’s ? Thanking all in anticipation, Jim Gracey
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide