Author Topic: Hampton, Laurencekirk  (Read 32215 times)

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hampton, Laurencekirk
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 November 08 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.Thos could well be the family with the surname variation that is used depending on where they lived. I will have to go to SP when I have a few more searches that I can be sure of,being a pensioner I have to watch what I can afford to spend on research.
Thank you very much for the information,I really do believe these are my ancestors.
Regards
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 November 08 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Remember that spellings weren't that important or rigid at that time...not like today  ::)

When searching for McBay on SP I would probably search for it as M?cb?y to pick up on all the variants.

Good luck with your searches - let us know if you need anything more Foggyman  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 November 08 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you very much for your help and advise. I found it strange also that I had two marriages to John McBay/Bey but with very different first names,I wonder if it could be a mistake and it is the same wedding????
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 November 08 18:59 GMT (UK) »
That was my thought. Both show as official extract from the OPRs so hard to say without seeing the refs. and entry in the registers. But it is odd, specially as the surname of McBay is not that common (only 31 entries in the whole of Kincardineshire for example in 1841)...don't want you chasing a Catherine that doesn't exist Foggyman, research is hard enough sometimes as it is  ;D

Monica

Offline Magian

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Pse see my posting of 1 May 2006 - do you have any information on Isobel? Isobel Hampton married John Crab on 17/3/1753 at Fordoun, Kincardine.

Magian

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Magian,
Sorry no Isobel,but will keep you in mind as I am only just starting my search for McBay/Hampton line.
Regards :)

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Found birth/death of Elizabeth MCBEY in 1855.John is my 4xGrt.Uncle,I will get certs.when I have a few more details of family.

Hi Foggyman

I wonder if this is John McBay and Jean Hampton in 1851:

John MacBey 35, fisherman, b. St Cyrus, Kincardine
Jane MacBey 34, b. Benholm, Kincardine
Ann MacBey 11, b. Benholm, Kincardine
Margret MacBey 1, b. Benholm, Kincardine

Address: Middle Street, Johnshaven, Benholm

There is a daughter showing for them on IGI in 1855, the first year of official registration in Scotland. Worth your while looking at that cert. on Scotlands People. Birth certs that year ran over two pages of the register and should include, where and when parents married, their place of birth, ages, father's occupation, also how many children they'd had since the marriage (alive or deceased/ boy or girls):

ELIZABETH MC BEY  Birth: 03 JUN 1855  Benholm
Parents:JOHN MC BEY and JEAN HAMPTON

Monica  :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 10:24 GMT (UK) »
That's great Foggyman  :) Let's hope you can also clear up the issue of Catherine v. Jane...

Monica

Offline rondem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 12:31 BST (UK) »
Jean Hanton McBey died April 15th 1888, Fore Street, Johnshaven. Listed as 76 years old and died of senile decay. Her informant was Alex. Stevenson son in law. Parents were listed as David Hanton, white fisherman, and Elizabeth Mill. (Hanton and Hampton were interchangeable in the north east dialect) (Milne is also the northeast version of Mill)