Author Topic: Castelnovo children sent out to Smith Falls Canada  (Read 21603 times)

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: Castelnovo children sent out to Smith Falls Canada
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi - regarding passenger lists...

The National Archives has passenger lists starting in about 1865, but only the 1925-1935 period have been indexed and posted online.  The rest of the records are still held on microfilm by port in chronological order of ship's arrival. 

You can order these films through your local LDS centre or possibly on inter-library loan and view them yourself, but it would be a lot of work to search through every list looking for the name.  Even though you have been able to narrow it down to a specific year (1905), there would still be a lot of reels to look through. 

If you want more info on the reels and how to order them, go here:
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-908.003-e.html

Otherwise, you can try your luck online.  It may be that someone else has already transcribed that particular ship list and has posted it online.  There are a selection of links at the bottom of the collectionscanada page above that lead to volunteer transcription projects of various kinds. 

The only other source I can think of right now is to find marriage records for George and/or Millicent.  I have taken a quick look on the Ontario Vital Statistics Project, but the coverage for those more recent years is not very good.  And George and Millicent are born recent enough that their marriages could be past the public release date.  (Ontario marriage records are currently only available to 1924 - another year is released each year.)  You may have to wait a while to pursue that trail! 

That's all I can think of right now...

Good luck!

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 18:23 GMT (UK) »
madridmama...welcome to rootschat!

The name Milicent is not used that much....you have an estimated date of birth for Milicent. Would the LDS files not reveal if the 1903 birth dates match with those on file for Islington / Holborn? ( within 4 months or so prior...I guess)

Well, even though I had reservations about this family of Stanleys being the ones...
There are 2 Dora Stanleys in the 1901 / England ...one in Northamton, one in Yorkshire. Both with jobs...don't have access so see who is in household.  but if one is off living on her own...who knows, I guess...
If that one is missing on the next census it would certainly help the story....

Anyway, speculation can open doors...so at least there isn't any more information to glean in order to go barkin' up the wrong family tree!
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 February 06 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Here's the marriage information:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 February 06 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello

there is a death registered as follows

Prescott County, Ontario,  Joseph Castlenova (indexed as Castlenueva but the actual image is Castlenova I am pretty sure), July 8, 1902, age 9 months, address for both birth and death is Van Kleek  Hill (hard to make out), religion R.C. - no listing for parents

I can't find anything else at the moment but will keep mulling it over.

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline madridmama

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 February 06 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Karen for the marriage information.  I will keep a note of it and see what happens. 

Offline madridmama

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 February 06 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Thelma,

Thanks for the information regarding Joseph Castelnova.  He could be a relation of my George Castelnovo, perhaps through his fathers family.  I guess any information on his parents would be useful.  Would there be any record of his birth 9 months before?  Also how far is this place from Smiths Fall?  Sorry but my Canadian geography is pretty limited.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 February 06 16:04 GMT (UK) »
The distance between VanKleek Hill, Ontario and Smith Falls, Ontario is 108 miles, or a 2 hour drive in todays standards.  Ottawa, Ontario is in the middle of the two.

No apologies needed on your geography, most Ontarion's probably don't even know where these places are  ;D

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 October 07 14:27 BST (UK) »
Well now that a couple more years of Ontario births, deaths and marriages have been released I thought I would bring this back up.....

found a marriage registration for..

George Arnold Stanley
Bachelor
Place of birth:  England
Intended Place of Marriage:  Smiths Falls, Ontario
Parents:  George Stanley & Emily Wood

Vernal Hazel Plato (?)
Place of Birth:  Smiths Falls
Parents:  Fredk Plato and Maud Saunders

Date:  May 12, 1924 Smiths Falls, Ontario
Reg. No. 013317

Karen

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 01 October 07 17:52 BST (UK) »
George Albert was the name of the lad, though....I remember this, thread....as no births for a Millicent ...plus there was so much missing information in the U.K....births, deaths, etc... ::)

Birth Sept. Q. 1902 Millicent Long / Uxbridge   (3a -54)

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com