Poll

Would you ever have DNA testing done for genealogical purposes?

YES!!
19 (76%)
NO!!!
4 (16%)
Maybe....
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: DNA Testing for genealogy  (Read 3479 times)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing for genealogy
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 September 04 14:34 BST (UK) »

I'll try to remember for next time.   :-[ Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline paulalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 September 04 14:39 BST (UK) »
I've been reading this topic with interest as i'm a geneticist. The ethics around genetic testing is a debate that can go on for ages. I personally would be interested for myself from a genealogical level especially as i think my grandfathers parents were first cousins and haven't been able to confirm this from the usual sources...although there are some big hints.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wolverhampton, Islington: Billingsley
Hammersmith, Manchester, Kent, Islington: Smith
Yorkshire: Hauxwell, Woodward, Butterfield
Darlington: Theakston
Essex: Harvey, Stock, Mead
Kent: Strong
Wokingham, Hammersmith: Thorpe
Oxfordshire: Rawlin(g)s, Johnson, Humphries, Curtis, Pope, Bossom, Simpson

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 September 04 16:33 BST (UK) »
Funny how things skip a generation. My son doesn't particularly look like either me or my husband but when it was my dad's 80th we compiled a wall chart of dad through the ages. He and my son were married at a similar age and there is a striking similarity between them - everyone commented about it.

Now perhaps my dad and his grandfather looked similar and dad's grandfather and his grandfather etc

The mind boggles...
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline Geoff of Devon

• I have turned off notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 September 04 16:36 BST (UK) »
Paul,
I noticed in my tree that several cousins inter-married, BUT only had children if they were three generations between their common ancestor. My family was obsessed in keeping their wealth. At least, up until about WW1!
I remember from reading a book about Eleanor of Acquitaine that there was a catholic rule, that could only be overuled by papal intervention, that stipulated this.
What are the exact genetic effects upon say immunity?  ??? I know they quote Queen Victoria and the general Sax-Coburg line and their genetic diseases as the most common example.
Geoff.
All lookups are crown copyright

Offline paulalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 September 04 16:51 BST (UK) »
Geoff,

By inter-marrying any rare mutation that could be disease-causing is more likely to be seen in the offspring. For example, in some diseases you need two copies of the defective gene for a disease/disorder to occur (one from each parent). In the general population you may never find anyone else carrying the defective gene (assuming having one copy of the defective gene and one normal copy = a normal person). But within a family the chances of two people each carrying the defective gene is higher therefore the chances of their offspring have two copies is also higher. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

Paula
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wolverhampton, Islington: Billingsley
Hammersmith, Manchester, Kent, Islington: Smith
Yorkshire: Hauxwell, Woodward, Butterfield
Darlington: Theakston
Essex: Harvey, Stock, Mead
Kent: Strong
Wokingham, Hammersmith: Thorpe
Oxfordshire: Rawlin(g)s, Johnson, Humphries, Curtis, Pope, Bossom, Simpson