Author Topic: Which is the best genealogy software  (Read 28652 times)

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which is the best genealogy software
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 14 August 07 18:19 BST (UK) »
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for responding to my posting.  It is true,  the more I learn the less I know.  It is simply that my computer has opened up my mind to the sheer expanse of cyber space and the language that is spoken within it.  Being born in the age of the steam wireless and the accumulator and now living my dotage in the age of the microchip and the internet is of itself miraculous.  I wonder what my old Irish granny,  smoking her clay pipe with a filling of Gallaher's thick twist,  make of of it all.   Again many thanks for your comments.  Live and learn and keep on truckin'!!!

Bill

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Which is the best genealogy software
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 25 February 17 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am thinking of going back prior to 1800, and noticed that Ancestry only held after 1841 Wales census, but Family Search for example went back further.

Can anyone tell me if I can save my family tree as a Gedcom file on Ancestry and upload it on to Family search to create a new tree there.

I understand that Gedcom files only save text, so is there any way I can save text and images ?

My subscription with Ancestry will finish soon, and I would love to transfer it to something else, but presume that I wont be able to transfer any images etc.

Can anyone recommend some good software, thanks.

Colin

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 25 February 17 08:19 GMT (UK) »
I use Brothers Keeper and have done since it first incarnation in the early days of DOS through the various Windows offerings.
However I have also tried and rejected most other family tree programs such as Family Tree Maker, Legacy, Family Historian, Roots Magic and about twenty or thirty other programs which were not up to the job, slow or simply did not suit my way of working.

Brothers Keeper has a number of good points apart from being good at what it does.
These include the ability to store data, pictures, media etc., in whatever folder or disk drive you want it stored.
The ability to use third party programs such as Word, Photoshop etc to process files and images “within” Brothers Keeper. This means there are no restrictions on recording or storing notes about a person, these could be one word or the size of a book.
The ability to name and store notes, images and media (video, sound recordings) in predetermined locations allows easy access of those items from outside Brother’s Keeper allowing easy sharing, copying and/or manipulation of the files.

This may not seem important now but when you have a collection of files complied over many years you want to be able to access them when you want to the way you want to rather than to have to follow the route required by a family tree program such as finding the person and opening files that are attached to that person.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 25 February 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
I haven't had a subscription to Ancestry for years, but I still keep my trees (about 10 of them!) there! ;D

Ancestry has an awful lot more than just censuses - 1841 being the first of any use the Family History. Have you checked what parish records are available?

And there is no way to copy images and documents using a Gedcom transfer!
You have to save every image/document to your own PC, and then transfer it from there into your new chosen software.

Personally I use RootsMagic - but each to their own.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 06 March 17 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm

I have one thing to say to Colin . . . . .

Your note implies that the only copy of your family tree, et al, is on Ancestry?
Take at least one backup, NOW! ( That's flaming for you  ;D )
Once you have a copy, test that you can access it.

I am not inferring that Ancestry could go the same way as that fotopic.net foto site a few years back (2012?).

However, stranger things have happened.
You can never have enough copies of backups.

Don't forget, dogs and cats love chewing usb sticks.

Sorry Colin, that's more than one thing.

::)
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice.
In the early days the same thing happened to GEOCITIES. I have copied a GEDCOM file, but havent tried it out.