Author Topic: QUEE of Co. Down  (Read 17809 times)

Offline RayJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: QUEE of Co. Down
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a postcard of John Quee’s butchers shop at 108.
Any ideas of where exactly it would be?
thanks

Offline neilht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi  I have an Isabella Quee in my tree, born about 1823 in Belfast.  She later married William Elliott and they moved to Liverpool.  I haven't been able to find anything further about her, so if anyone has come across her or her family I would be very interested.

Offline adoakster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 July 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
I have Susan Quee [b. 8th June 1856] in my family tree, she was a daughter of William Quee [d. 13th April 1899] and Jane Marshall [d. 9th May 1877].  Are there any members following this thread related to her?

Offline msgingercat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan Quee (b 1856) was my great-grandmother - her son Samuel Johnston was my mother's father.  Susan had a very interesting life - would love to share details with you.  What relationship do you have to her?

Offline adoakster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 October 17 10:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding.  I thought it was a long shot posting on this thread since it was last updated in 2014!

Offline adoakster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 October 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
Susan Quee was my Gt.Gt Grandmother. I'm descended from William Quee Johnston [b. 23rd July 1880, m. 18th February 1909, d. 18th December 1962] of her first marriage [4th December 1877] to William Johnston [d. 2nd March 1884].
If my records are correct, she married your Gt.Grandfather, another William Johnston, on the 27th November 1892.  Samuel Johnston, your Grandfather, was born on the 6th of July 1895.

I was never able to find a death certificate for "my" William Johnston, just a burial record, and had long thought they may have been the same person!  That is until I came across what I think is "your" William Jonhston's death cert from the 31st of December 1918; have I got that correct?

Susan Johnston (nee Quee) died on the 13th March 1933 and your Grandfather Samuel was present at her death in 49 Crosby Street.
What confuses me about all of this is that Susan was buried in the Quee family plot A 471 City Cemetery Belfast along with "my" William Johnston, John Johnston [d. 12th April 1885] and her father William Quee; perhaps this was more to do with the fact that C 102, City Cemetery where "your" William Johnston was buried was already a "full" grave plot??

I have loads of certificates, newspaper references, burial records etc that I can certainly share.
I think rootschat allows messaging between posters, after I think the third post, so if you are interested we can exchange personal email addresses after that.

Offline msgingercat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 October 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
As far as I know, all the details you have are correct - so the relationship between the two Williams is certainly interesting! I have been trying to find a death certificate for the first William for a while - what a pity they have such common names - but I think that the burial record confirms what happened. 
My grandfather Samuel died on 20 August 1935 when my mother was just 3 years old.  She, and her sisters, were always told by their mother that Susan's first husband was a sailor - a captain who was lost at sea and then she married another man with - coincidence! - the same name.  So I was a bit suspicious when I discovered that Susan was in the workhouse in 1890 - giving birth to a daughter, Lily, on 15.9.90 - whose father is given as William Johnston, plasterer, whereabouts unknown.  I feared she might have married the second William without a death certificate.
Would love to learn more about the family - which of William Quee's children are you descended from?

Offline adoakster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 October 17 15:36 BST (UK) »
This is very interesting stuff...
We can continue our discussion via email now.

However, for completeness on this thread, William Quee Johnston and Anna Rebecca Dempster Hill had three daughters: Irene Moore Johnston, [b. 17th February, d. 4th March 1910], Jeannie Johnston [b. 17th February 1916, m. 7th August 1940, d. 27th February 1964] and Margaret Beryl Johnston [b. 27th March 1911, m. 8th July 1931, d. 1st January 1990].

I'm directly descended from Margaret Beryl Johnston...

Offline emdon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 September 23 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Alf

Not sure if this is still live - but my Great Uncle was Gilmore Quee. My Grandfather was his brother Brian Quee who passed away at the end of 2020.

I have some photos from their old house in Drumbo if you are interested. I think Gilmore is in a few of them with his horses. They’re pretty impressive! We came across a box of them when we were clearing out my Pa’s things.

If this reaches you, let me know and perhaps I can email them across to you!

Erin