Author Topic: *COMPLETED* LEGGS of CARRICKFERGUS  (Read 25082 times)

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* LEGGS of CARRICKFERGUS
« on: Tuesday 07 February 06 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Charles Legg b.c.1860 donated Legg Park in memory of his son Hugh Legg who died in WWI.
His brother Samuel Legg a Bookeeper married Jessie McCallum  20th September 1880 by special license at Lauriston House, Windsor Belfast. His father was John Legg, Merchant. A John Legg(father? brother?) was a witness.
Three children were born to Sam and Jessie: John (1886), Eileen Francis and Daisy,(who died young?)
On the early(?)death of Sam, Jessie and some if not all of the children went to live with Charles, her bro-in-law and his invalid wife (name uknown). Charles successfully ran/owned a fleet of coasters from presumably Carrickfergus.
The young nephew John (Jack) eventually became an apprentice in the Merchant Navy having had his schooling paid for by his Uncle Charles.
Jack, eventually married Mary Kennedy in Wimbledon. Jack is my husbands grand father.
Is there anyone out there who knows someone or who is in fact related to my husband? Any further info?

All help gratefully received.

Best
Debbie
 ;D

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: LEGGS of CARRICKFERGUS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Dear Anthony,

Yes I found John the JP. But I didnt have the added info, nor the info on a David Legg.

Many thanks
Debbie

Offline Anthony

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anthony,

Once again, I'm gratefulf for this info. John Legg (1870) the Shipowner seems to be the guy I'm looking for. Am I right in thinking the Minorca is address of where he was? Somone else has directed me to Bassetts directory of 1880 where a Mrs. Legg of Minorca Place is to be found living.
May I ask where you are getting this info from? Is there somewhere I can look to find the shipping/coaster fleet name/offices presumably in Carrickfergus for the years 1880-1900's?
I have also been directed to Ulster covenant site where I have found the signature of Great Aunt Eileen.F. Legg found in County Down.

Again thanks for your help

Best
Debbie

Offline Anthony

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 06 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anthony,
Once again I'm grateful to you. The family are really coming together for us now. I wasn't sure when I began this how much information I could get having discovered that certain censuses were no longer in existence.

Grateful thanks
Debbie

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 06 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie
Was scouting around the Glenravel Online Timelines this morning and came across two Legg's (no pun intended).

Apr 1889 - "James R Aitken of Whitehouse Spinning Company brought a case against Charles Legge, Flax Commissionar Agent, for a slander alleged to have been spoken in the Lombard Cafe.  £250 damages were awarded."

Mar 1934 - "Six men were reported missing as a result of the collision of the Belfast collier Bantry with the oil tanker Cardita in the English Channel.  The missing men were named as R Adair of Whitechurch, Ballywalter, Chas Black of Moira Road Lisburn, T Harper Newcastle Street Belfast, S Ogilvie Carrickfergus, Oscar Legg Garmoyle Street, and J Clyde of Santiago Street.

Hope this is of help.

Gary

O'Brien (Coleraine/Canada/Donaghadee)
Milliken (Belfast and others)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 06 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Debbie, yes Minorca Place is a street name in Carrickfergus.

Have a look at this 1861 Directory link for more references to Legg in Carrickfergus, in particular, John Legg, a grocer and ship owner, Minorca [assume place].
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .