Author Topic: *COMPLETED* LEGGS of CARRICKFERGUS  (Read 25051 times)

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: LEGGS of CARRICKFERGUS
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie

You might want to obtain a copy of the Ordnance Survey Memoirs for Carickfergus town.  This was a survey conducted in the 1830's to prepare the earliest version of the Ordnance Survey maps.  Whilst they were doing their work the surveyors also prepared extensive summaries of the local area but these were never published until very recently. 

I bought this one recently to research my Milliken ancestors but found many references to the Legge family whilst reading it.  You will find that they were active participants in Carrick affairs during the 1830's.  You can order through the Ulster Historical Foundation.

There is also an interesting reference to a much older Lugg Castle which may have family connections (although not much remains).

I will try an extract some highlights for you when I get a chance in the near future.

Gary
O'Brien (Coleraine/Canada/Donaghadee)
Milliken (Belfast and others)

Offline leggbiz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

I am somewhat confused by this thread. I and my family have visited Legg Park in Carrickfergus and the memorial is to Charles MacFerran Legg (my great uncle). We were always under the impression that the park was given by his father, my gt gt uncle, also named Charles MacFerran Legg and born 20 Nov 1858.

The younger CF Legg did die in France in 1918 though not in action. He was thrown from his horse at Bavinchove. He was an alumnus of "Inst" (Belfast). There is more information here:
http://www.instgreatwar.com/page16.htm

When I first saw your mention of Legg Park I thought we may be related but cannot see any connection to the names you mention. If anyone can shed any light on our conflicting info I'd be grateful.

kind regards
Hugh G. Legg

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 June 09 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

I am somewhat confused by this thread. I and my family have visited Legg Park in Carrickfergus and the memorial is to Charles MacFerran Legg (my great uncle). We were always under the impression that the park was given by his father, my gt gt uncle, also named Charles MacFerran Legg and born 20 Nov 1858.

The younger CF Legg did die in France in 1918 though not in action. He was thrown from his horse at Bavinchove. He was an alumnus of "Inst" (Belfast). There is more information here:

When I first saw your mention of Legg Park I thought we may be related but cannot see any connection to the names you mention. If anyone can shed any light on our conflicting info I'd be grateful.

kind regards
Hugh G. Legg

Hello Hugh,

Well this is a fascinating turn up for the books! I have spoken to my 88 year old mother-in -law nee Legg and she is adamant that her father John Legg and his sister were brought up in the household of Charles Legg the gentleman who dedicated the park to his only son 'Hugh Legg', (interesting that you have the same name). She insists that this Charles M Legg was her father's uncle, (she still calls him Great Uncle Charlie and doesnt know what the M stands for) You apparently have proof to the contrary and I only have the word of an old lady so I really don't know what to tell you.

I do know that 'her' great uncle Charles M Legg was born circa 1858, his wife was an invalid and upon the death of his brother Samuel he took in his brothers widow, Jessie and young family John, Eileen and Daisy. On the death of his Uncle Charlie, John used some of his inheritance to visit Ireland again to show off his children to his Legg relatives. My mother in law was too young at the time to remember their names.
There are letters of administration dated May 1889 granted to Jessie Legg, widow of Samuel Davys Legg of 124 York St, Belfast. His occupation was recorded as Mercantile Clerk (my mother in law says her grandfather Samuel worked with his brother Charles in the family business which was Merchant Shipowners.) John Legg is named as father of the groom on Samuels marriage certificate and his profession is Merchant. There is an entry of a John Legg in the 1861 Trade directory as Merchant/shipowner and the address given is Minorca Carrickferrgus. This John apparently died in 1884, address Minorca Carrickferrgus as the will was proved 3 February 1884, at Belfast by a Mathew Legg Manager of Carrickferrgus Mill and one of the executors.

I imagine an entry in a census for 1891 and 1901 Carrickferrgus, would help to settle who my mother in laws father was living with at that time and possibly a copy of the will if any copies or records exist of Samuel and John and 'Uncle Charlie'. I certainly do not question the information you have regarding the younger Charles Legg in your tree, but I don't know where my mother in law got the name Hugh Legg from.

Do any of the addresses mentioned ring any bells?

Debbie

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 June 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hello again Hugh,

I see that there are two entries for C Leggs on the 1910 Ulster Street Directory for Carrickfergus:
Charles M., U D C of Belfast Road and C M Legg, Governor Walk, Shipowner and Merchant. I am assuming that UDC stands for Ulster Defence Constabulary? Is this your great Uncle?

Debbie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 June 09 11:46 BST (UK) »
U.D.C. = Urban District Council
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 June 09 12:50 BST (UK) »
U.D.C. = Urban District Council

Hi

Ahhhh so he is a member of UDC. Thank you.

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 June 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

kind regards
Hugh G. Legg

I have just found a J L M'Ferran one of 18 of Ulster District council members in the same 1910 Ulster Street Directory.

Debbie

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 June 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

kind regards
Hugh G. Legg

I have just found a J L M'Ferran one of 18 of Ulster District council members in the same 1910 Ulster Street Directory.

Debbie

I am sorry about this Hugh, but I thought you would find this interesting.

I have just discovered this site which refers to my husbands Great Uncle Charlie and a yacht he had built in 1897. You will note that they mention Legg park being built for Charles snrs son Charles HUGH Legg who died in WWI aged 25! The image of the two men caused my husband to exclaim excitedly, "That's my grandfather JACK LEGG!!!!" I am hoping to receive a copy of an old photograph of John (Jack) Legg, my husbands grandfather, in his 'whites' and when you compare the two images the resemblance is uncanny. If it is him, then the other white haired old gentleman pictured may be Charles M Legg.

http://heritageboatassociation.ie/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=207&Itemid=35

I think this answers some of the questions don't you?  :)

Very best wishes

Debbie

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 June 09 13:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry, that's great great Uncle Charlie of course LOL