Author Topic: The Hessies in Ireland  (Read 5721 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The Hessies in Ireland
« on: Friday 24 September 04 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks to help from RootsChat and ScotlandsPeople members, I have been able to trace the Hessie's back to Ireland.

To recapitulate:
A soldier from Hesse, Germany fought as one of George III's mercenaries in the American War of Independence. He settled down in the Hebrides, married, and called his first daughter Hessa, in memory of his homeland. It became the tradition, that Hessa named her first child Hessa. At sometime Hessa became Hessie.

From the Hebrides the "Hessie Family" moved to Ireland => England => Ireland => Scotland, and => Berlin. 

I so far have 6 generations:
my daughter
her mother
her grandmother, b 1919, Scotland
her g-grandmother, b. 1885, Scotland/ Ireland (?)
her g-g-grandmother, Hessie Stevenson, b. 1861, Ireland, on 2nd marriage => Hessie Coleman
her g-g-g-grandmother, Hessie Baxter, b 1830s ?, Ireland ?

Hessie Stevenson's second marriage was to Warren Coleman, so she became Hessie Coleman.

I'm guessing Antrim, because:
- In the 1901 census, Hessie Coleman and Warren Coleman are both born in Ireland
- On a birth cert. for one of the Coleman kids, it states that the parents married in Belfast in 18th. May 1886

Hessie Coleman's death certificate in 1932 (District of Plantation, Glasgow) states that she was 71 years old and that her parents were Joseph Stevenson - occupation Tailor (deceased) and Hessie Stevenson (MS Baxter) deceased.

If any body has any information at all which could help me trace the Hessies back, I would be very grateful.

(And in my daydreams: One day I find the original Hessie !!)
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Hessies in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 06:49 BST (UK) »
Anthony,

Many, many thanks for looking !

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 05 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Bob

Please do not get excited for I do not have a Hessie but the more I read from your web site the more I feel we are related in some way. Joseph Stevenson being my g grandfather and his father being James Stevenson ...I am very new to this ...but there is a Colman conection along with a  Douglas all from Belfast.

Do you have any phots of Hessie or John
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 February 05 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi. 1852 Belfast St Directory the name Coleman.
James Coleman of Coleman & Dobbin wine & spirit merchants 1 Church St Residence 2 Crumlin Terrace.

James Coleman, Gentleman, 2 Wills Place.
John Coleman merchant 27 York St.
John Coleman, smith, 21 Greenland St.
Mrs Coleman boarding house, 34 Hamilton St.
Patrick Coleman spirit merchant, 71/73 Academy St.
Samuel Coleman publican, 66 Barrack St.

1896 Belfast St Directory 18 Coleman's living in Belfast one is a W, Coleman, Stabling Yard 95 Townsend St.

The W could be Warren or William but there is Wm Coleman as well if you would like the 17  names for Coleman please let me know and i will send them to you.

Anthony

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 05 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi stevenson,

it would be great if we can find a link !  :)

the only photo of Hessie Stevenson-Coleman that I have is already on the web-site,
and the only info. I have about Joseph Stephenson is from Hessie's death cert.:

Hessie Coleman's death certificate in 1932 (District of Plantation, Glasgow) states that she was 71 years old and that her parents were Joseph Stevenson - occupation Tailor (deceased) and Hessie Stevenson (MS Baxter) deceased.

Does that help ?

Hessie was born in 1861, so Joseph will most likely have been born before 1840
But .....  what was "your" Joseph's wife's name ? If it wasn't  Hessie ....??   :(

Regards,
Bob

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 February 05 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anthony,

many thanks for this information. 

On reflection, I don't think "my" Colemans are there: Warren Coleman's parents were James Coleman (Millwright) and N.N. Warren
I doubt if a Millwright would have been entered in the directory.

Warren Coleman was born in 1857 (1901 Census) or 1863 (died in 1915, aged 52).
He worked in the shipyards. He married Hessie Stevenson on 18th. May 1886 in Belfast (from birth certificate of their son, William John Coleman, 1897 in Scotland).
Their first child was born in 1896 in Scotland, so, again, no directory entry there, either !

If, on your travels, you should come across their marriage cert. or that of Joseph Stevenson and Hessie Baxter (1855-60 ?? daugher Hessie was born in 1861, but I don't know how many other kids) that would be fantastic !!

Thanks again,
Bob

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 February 05 20:08 GMT (UK) »
hi bob

went back to your site found photos It is just I have a photo from my stevenson line who we do not know who it is(a relative yes but unknown)

My Joseph was born about 1870 ( wife called Jane Neil/O'Neil)with brothers Robert William John Andrew  their father was James Stevenson and at present wife unknown

But all the childrens names seem to get repeated down the different lines except Hessie.
They all came from the Ballyduff Carnmoney Donagore areas

can this help you
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi stevenson,

Looks like your Joseph (b. about 1870) is definitely not my Joseph (his daughter Hessie was born in 1861 !) so no link there  :(

I'll let you know if I find out any more Stevenson info. from my family.

Regards,
Bob

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Bob, just wondering.......have you ruled out the Hessie Baxter's that turn up on IGI....especially the one (albeit spelt Hessey) born 1835 at Loughermore, Antrim?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .