Author Topic: Ewing Marriage to Woosey  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Uncle Gromit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Greetings from Tasmania
    • View Profile
Ewing Marriage to Woosey
« on: Wednesday 08 February 06 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any other details of marriage please

December Quarter 1874
John Ewing married Ellen Woosey
Her name is listed as Hoosey in  Liverpool District Vol 8b
Page 308 but this was a typo............
I'm searching for any other details which may be available with those records.

Many Thanks
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ewing Marriage to Woosey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, according to the Lancashire BMD page
(http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/)

John Ewing married Ellen Hooley at Liverpool St Philip in 1874

No marriages for an E Woosey listed on their indexes (not yet quite complete) between 1868 and 1883 and none for any Woosey to a Ewing.

Unless you can get a sight of the original parish register entry, there is no way to obtain any extra details without buying the certificate.  :(

Sorry.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Uncle Gromit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 06 04:55 GMT (UK) »
My Thanks to You, Little Nell, for your help.
One of the hardest things about searching is that people's names get changed, sometime slightly and other times rather drastically.

I believe that these three names are the same person.  I have a birth cert. (original) with Ellen Woosey's name (no doubt about the spelling) on it ... I could not find her marriage, thinking that my grand dad, his three sisters and his brother were all illegitimate.  Then one day ..  same husband.... there she is as Hoosey ... transcribed incorrectly many, many moons ago by some civil service cleric from the Church record to the government record.

Now Lancashire BMD have her as Hooley  ... apparently same Church, same date, same husband.
So she has gone from Woosey to Hooley ... no wonder we are all going grey.  It's like doing a jig-saw puzzle wearing boxing gloves ..... but don't we love it ???
Many thanks once again............... TTFN

Offline heathkit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 June 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
I am new to this forum.
Also researching the Ewing family. I am a descendant of Rachael Ewing and just found her brother Richard whose son John married Ellen Woosey.
Any information would be appreciated.

Bob
Warren, Lacey, Denholm, Barnes, Purkiss, Hardy, Ewing, O'Brien, Green, Hamilton, Griffiths

Offline Uncle Gromit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 June 17 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob .... Welcome to attempting to find out exactly who you are.  I was a bit surprised by this post as my last one was 11 years ago. 
According to my records, Richards father was also a John but I don't have a Rachael as a sister to Richard.
Any chance that you could give me a few more details please?  Also can you let me know in which direction you are travelling ....I have lots of info to the present day - My mother was a Ewing but, if Rachael wasn't Richard's sister, I wouldn't want to put you on the wrong track.  I am currently working on updating my Ewing line and hope to extend it within the next week or two. S0, I am more than happy to help in any way I can if you can give me just a bit more of the info you have, such as Rachael's birthdate and any other relatives you maight have.

Cheers

Dave

PS If Little Nell, by any chance, gets a reminder about this can I thank her once more for the help she tried to offer and let her know that I 'half sorted' the Woosey problem.  I managed to contact a distant 'cousin' in the USA and he sent me a copy of his G Grandmother's birth certificate, His G Grandmother was my Grandfather's sister. I have his birth cert. The name on mine is Woosey. The name on his is Hoosey.  Same mother - different names.  I know that she was illiterate and I now believe that the pronounciation was rather like the word 'who'  as in Doctor Who where we don't say the W.  I have also researched the spacial literacy aspect and found that Woosey is an old Lancashire name and there were not many of them but they are still about and living around Wigan and Burscough.

Offline heathkit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 June 17 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

I have a DNA match with a Christopher Hanson who is a descendant of Richard Ewing from Liverpool.

Rachael Caroline Emily Ewing, my gg grandmother from Liverpool b1823, was convicted of stealing in the Lancaster and Liverpool Quarter Sessions in 1841 and transported to VDL. Her conduct record states her fathers name was John, she has 4 sisters Mary, Ann, Ellen and Jane, 4 brothers John, James, William and Richard.

I followed Christopher's family tree and found a John Ewing, son of Richard, marrying Ellen Hoosey and then their daughter (christian name unknown) married Michael Carrigan.

I then by coincidence found your post on the subject of Ellen Hoosey or Woosey and hoped I might make contact with you via this media to see if you had any more information.

Rachael first married William Corney in New Norfolk in 1843 and had 5 children. William suddenly disappeared and she then moved in with Peter Hardy of NN and had another 8 children. She died in 1902.

So that's the basic info. Hope you can make something of it.

Bob
Warren, Lacey, Denholm, Barnes, Purkiss, Hardy, Ewing, O'Brien, Green, Hamilton, Griffiths

Offline Uncle Gromit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 June 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob ... well. it's a small world and I can certainly help you some of the way.
I am related to Chris Hanson and in touch with him regularly as we are on Facebook. I must get my DNA done and we should also be related.
I am typing this from VDL (aka Tasmania) and NN is, according to Google, just 49 minutes away from me ...but I travel a bit slower than that so, let's make it an hour.  Now we are on good ground.

The daughter of John Ewing and Ellen Hoosey - the one who married Michael Carrigan was named Ellen. Chris Hanson is her great grandson.
Ellen's brother was my Grandad.  I do have a Tribal Pages Family Tree and you are more than welcome to take a look at it.  If you go to
https://dwwallace.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=dwwallace&mmg=8381927941&switch=0&rand=621161666
and then, in the security box tick ..request invitation
I will then Ok it and you can start looking at the Ewings...just troll around it and follow the leads on the Ewings ...and anyone else for that matter.  Don't be afraid to ask about any parts you don't understand.
In the meantime, I can start checking up on Rachael. I see that you live in Adelaide ...can I ask if you are a Ewing or, like me, it's on the maternal side?   
It's a good surname until people start misspelling it ...I have found Ewing, Ewings, Hawing.  As for Hoosey that's even more of a problem with spelling.  Never mind, we can see what we can find.

Cheers

Dave

Offline heathkit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 June 17 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave
Chris is my 4th cousin 1R according to my calc. and DNA info. so we would also be related.
Rachael is my paternal gg grandmother and I can supply you with her descendant info if required.

I reluctantly joined Facebook for the family history side of it and have found a couple of cousins which I knew existed but had never met up with before and met them personally in Devonport while waiting for the ferry.

I have been to the Tribal Pages site as suggested. Might be better if you email me rather than continue discussions here.

Bob

Offline Uncle Gromit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 June 17 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob ...emailing sounds good to me ....as I would like to send you some documentation I have found.  I would also love to see your Rachael's descendant info please.
Although I totally agree with us being related, I am not at all sure that Rachael is a direct line so, your info would be of help.  My email address is
ugromit@hotmail.com

Cheers

Dave