Author Topic: Edlin in Ickenham. Middlesex, London and Sussex  (Read 14961 times)

Offline suspiceone

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edlin in Ickenham
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 February 06 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
You have made a good point with the nebuly, we will have to dig deeper. Would Eddie Geoghegan ( Araltas) know ? .
I will email the lists today.
Kindest regards
John
Edlin / Edlyn / Edelin  from NZ , Leic. ,Yorks. , France.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 March 06 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I have just spent my head in a pile of Heraldry books in the reference library.  Unlike the internet sites they distinguish between a nebuly border and a wavy border.  It is the latter which indicated an illegitimate son.

The nebuly border doesn't seem to have any specific meaning in English Heraldry but in Scottish Heraldry it indicates a specific cadency, in this particular case the second grandson in line.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suspice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Have come across Bordure ( border) : " It surrounds the field , occupying one - fifth of it, and is of equal breadth at every part. Usually born by those members of a family wanting to distinguish their line from those of a relative" .
( difference between relatives bearing the same arms ).
Swan : the Swan was cognizance of the Bohuns. Sometimes it is borne whole, sometimes only the head, like the arms of the Guests. When gorged with ducal coronet having a gold chain attached to it, it is called a cygney-royal.
kindest regards, John

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 April 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
I have just realised that I have a shortage of photographs of the Ickenham Edlins.  Somewhere in my family there is a photograph of an elderly Fanny Louise Saich nee Edlin but nothing else.

Has anyone else any photographs of the family?
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 May 06 17:12 BST (UK) »
If you are interested in the links between the Edlin and the Ive families in the Harefield and Ruislip areas see the following link

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,153870.0/topicseen.html

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 October 06 16:00 BST (UK) »
The London Gazette which is now online from 1772 to 1900 contains a couple of interesting bankruptcies.

Mark Haines Edlin of Cannons farm was in debtors prison in 1861 but seems have eventually been dealt with under the 1868? bankruptcy act applying for discharge in 1868 for which there was a creditors meeting at the George Inn Uxbridge 3 Jul 1876.

Thomas Edlin of Starvells Farm Ruislip also had a creditors meeting 4 Nov 1872 also had a creditors meeting for liquidation of his bankruptcy at the George Inn.

There is also a description of Broadwater Farm in the auction of its freehold 1864.  At the time it was leased to William Edlin.

David 

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Edlin in Ickenham. Middlesex, London and Sussex
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 29 March 08 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I have recently been looking at the Edlin family in Sussex and I have found two families. 

The Brghton family who owned a number of pubs in the early 20th century link back to the Stepney family of the early eighteenth century.

The St Leonards brothers William and Henry who ran the Tivoli Tavern and the Royal Victorian Hotel in the 1830s respectively.  I can't link these to anyone.  I would welcome any ideas.

David

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Edlin in Ickenham. Middlesex, London and Sussex
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 23:47 GMT (UK) »
William and Henry appear to be the sons of John Edlin born c 1768 at Rickmansworth.

By 1846 William was a florist living at Queens Road Bayswater and died in 1853  at 25 Berkley Street Lambeth.  He married Lucy Bramptron and they had six children.

Henry married twice and had four children with his second wife Mary Ann Bye although some of these appear to have been born before their marriage in 1859. No record has been found of the death of his first wife Susan which would have been after 1851.  Having run the Bull Hotel in Cambridge he later owned the Railway Refreshment Rooms at Cambridge, Ely and Newmarket until his death in 1860.

David

Offline korax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 March 15 06:06 GMT (UK) »
I have just realised that I have a shortage of photographs of the Ickenham Edlins.  Somewhere in my family there is a photograph of an elderly Fanny Louise Saich nee Edlin but nothing else.

Has anyone else any photographs of the family?

Your post goes back aways, but in case this is of interest, I have a photo of Louisa Edlin (b. 1849 in Ickenham), daughter of Thomas Edlin and Sarah Edwards. She was my great great grandmother and married Thomas Turner, who is also in the photograph.