Author Topic: Edlin in Ickenham. Middlesex, London and Sussex  (Read 14956 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Edlin in Ickenham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 February 06 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you John I will message you.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Sir Peter Edlins CoA.  I have been doing a bit of research.

bordure nebuly sa.

bordure as expected border but means that the link to the main line holding the coat of arms is probably through a younger son.  There are other reasons but this seems the most likely.

nebuly - various pictures but basically a cloud shaped interface to the main shield rather that a straight line.

sa.  sable i.e. black

So I am back wanting to see the pedigree posted with the college of arms.
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline suspiceone

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 00:40 GMT (UK) »
HI David, the Arms that I have for :
 EDLIN , Peter Henry, Esq., 64 Queensborough Terrace, Hyde Park, London, one of Her Majesty's Counsel, Recorder of Bridgewater, and Assistant Judge of the Middlesex Sessions.  Arms : Erm. a fesse vair, in chief two arrows saltirewise ppr. ,all within a bordure nebuly sa. Crest : A crescent or, there from rising a falcon ppr. belted and jested gold, each wing charged with a trefoil slipped vert.  Motto : Suspice.
reference: Burke's General Armory
I have put together all of the illustrations that have been" accredited " to the name Edlin/Edlyn/Edelin etc will put in the post today.
Kindest regards, John
Edlin / Edlyn / Edelin  from NZ , Leic. ,Yorks. , France.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you John.  I have been trying to get a lead on the other CoA but I can't find anything relevant.  I am looking forward to seeing the blazon and any other details for that one.

David 

arms:quartered: 1and 4 divided diagonally gold over black; a crook ending in a trefoil, placed diagonally and counterchanged; 2 and 3 silver; a red diagonal band between in top , a black eagle's leg and in base, a black wing turned to the left.
crest: a gold lion issuing and turned to the left, crowned gold.

Offline suspiceone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you John.  I have been trying to get a lead on the other CoA but I can't find anything relevant.  I am looking forward to seeing the blazon and any other details for that one.

David 

arms:quartered: 1and 4 divided diagonally gold over black; a crook ending in a trefoil, placed diagonally and counterchanged; 2 and 3 silver; a red diagonal band between in top , a black eagle's leg and in base, a black wing turned to the left.
crest: a gold lion issuing and turned to the left, crowned gold.

Offline suspiceone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, I have sent the material on Crests etc. Now I will delve into the files for Edlins in Leic. and Mddx. I think that I should list all that I have and email to you, Annetta and Heather. What do you think ?Kindest regards, John

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 February 06 09:27 GMT (UK) »
I'll wait to see what you come up with on your listing John.  Mine will be much more difficult as it is all buried amongst the other Edlin details.

I have been looking deeper into the use of a "nebuly" border.

Firstly it is likely to be wavey rather one of the more stylised forms used on a shield.
Secondly it probably means a baseborn son.

If this is the case it seems surprising that a newly created knight would adopt a shield of this form.

Offline Suspice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 February 06 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
The meaning of nebuly that I came across meant : waved lines to represent clouds;as well as represents the sea or water.
I received from Annette a four page list of  a " National Burial report", do you have a copy? If not I will forward to you.
Kindest regards
John

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 February 06 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

That picture of nebuly is the one from my reference books and if you go on-line to sites like hereldica there are illustrations which actually extend to what I can only describe as interlocking trees, probably meant to be clouds.

It was the nebuly border which I was having trouble with and as I said I could not explain why a newly Knighted person would want that on their shield where there was an opportunity to have a cleaned up shield.

Yes please to the document from Annette.

David