Author Topic: Tidbury of Tidbury's Toll, Fort Beaufort, Cape Colony  (Read 15162 times)

Offline Eric-C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Granda Joseph-C
    • View Profile
Tidbury of Tidbury's Toll, Fort Beaufort, Cape Colony
« on: Thursday 09 February 06 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Have fairly good info on descendants of George Henry and Charles T, through NASA, personal contact, CWGC, etc. They were born 1849 & 1853 resp., Portsmouth, Hampshire, but few records found in UK.
Seek info on:
- GH & C's arrival in Cape.
- parents George and Ellen, who may not have come to Cape.
- other Tidbury family in F.Beaufort from the 1820's (Ellen T b 1821, m Wm Hry Smith 1857, F.Beaufort)
- Evered Vivian T (Death notice 1889), who does not appear in any of our family records.
- Walter T b abt 1871, , Cape. m Amy Sweetham abt 1895.
- GAD T d 1942 at El Alamein. (CWGC)
Thanks,
Eric-C
Co Antrim, Belfast, Armagh - Cahill, Murphy<br />Co Down, Ballynahinch - Murphy<br />Co Fermanagh, Irvinestown - Morrison<br />Co F, Florence Crt - Wallace, Morrison<br />Cumbria, Whitehaven - Murphy<br />Co Limerick, Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Hants, Portsea - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Lancs, Preston - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Berks, Thatcham - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Kent, unkn, - Harrison<br />Germany - Klassen, Ordemann<br />S.Africa - Tidbury, Harrison, Klassen, Ordemann, Barber

Offline Eric-C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Granda Joseph-C
    • View Profile
Re: Tidbury of Tidbury's Toll, Fort Beaufort, Cape Colony
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 06 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Updated info.
Unsubstantiated claim Geo & Ellen married st Michael's Limerick 1842. Geo Hnry & Chas born in Preston Lancs, poss Fulwood Barracks, although we have entry for Chas baptised at Portsea. The Fulwood based Queens Lancashire Rgt (47 & 81 Rgt) do not have record of Tidbury, but other rgt's also based there over the years.
Still looking for connections ZA & UK
Regards Eric-C
Co Antrim, Belfast, Armagh - Cahill, Murphy<br />Co Down, Ballynahinch - Murphy<br />Co Fermanagh, Irvinestown - Morrison<br />Co F, Florence Crt - Wallace, Morrison<br />Cumbria, Whitehaven - Murphy<br />Co Limerick, Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Hants, Portsea - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Lancs, Preston - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Berks, Thatcham - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Kent, unkn, - Harrison<br />Germany - Klassen, Ordemann<br />S.Africa - Tidbury, Harrison, Klassen, Ordemann, Barber

Offline Eric-C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Granda Joseph-C
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 May 06 22:31 BST (UK) »
Latest update.
Confirmed Geo & Ellen (O'Brien, b. abt 1821) married 1842 Limerick St Michael's.
1851 census has Geo and brother Chas at Fulwood barracks while Ellen, (mis-transcribed as Sidbury), is in Preston Lancs with Mary A, 1844 Ireland; Ellen, 1849 Ire; and Geo, 1850 Preston. I have not yet found any trace in England of the family in 1861, so I guess that they had left England by then. There is a death registered in 1857 of a Geo. T at Preston, so there is the possibility that our Geo died in military service (in Cape Colony perhaps).
There is also a marriage in Fort Beaufort in 1857 of Ellen Tidbury (b. 1821 Fort Beaufort ???) to William Henry Smith, but I have been unable to find any further clue as to who they are.
Going back to the soldiers, Geo & Chas, were born in Thatcham, Berkshire of Charles T b 1800 Midgham and Ann Robbins b 1800 Thatcham, sib Hannah 1829, John 1831, William 1833, Eliza 1840, Matilda 1842.
If anyone has any further info or copies of documents, please let us know.
Thanks,
Eric-C

Offline Karen Cutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 December 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric, I was amazed to see you had quite a bit of info on my Great grandfather George Tidbury.  My mother is Norman Maxwell Tidbury's daughter - Joy Richardson.  She has 2 brothers and 5 sisters.  My mom and her elder sister Kay - Kathleen are living in the UK but grew up in Fort Beaufort and East London.  I'm trying to put some details together and would appreciate any help you can give me.  I know this so far:-
Last Name:    Tidbury
 First Name:   George Henry
 Date of Birth:   1849
 Place of Birth:   Portsmouth, Hampshire, England
 Parents – Father:   George Tidbury
 Parents – Mother:  Ellen
 Name of Spouse:   Elizabeth Ann from Cahill Ireland
 Marriage Date:
 Marriage Place:
 Date of Death:   29 Jan 1895 age 45y 3m
 Place of Death: Ft Beaufort, Cape

Notes:   DN 371/1895.  Children, all minors:
Charles Henry
William Joseph married Maude Clarke
Susanna Ellen married William Clarke
Mildred Margaret married Charles O’Brien
Albert George married Bertha Clarke
Norman Maxwell Tidbury married Winnifred Clarke on 16 Oct 1917

We have a very big family - mostly still in South Africa.  The eldest daughter Ailsa had 12 children and at the last count I believe there are 108 in their family alone.  Daphne had 9 children, Esme had 2 daughters, Stella had 2 sons and 2 daughters, Kay has 3 sons and 1 daughter and Joy had a son and a daughter (me).  Would love to get in touch, and find out how we are related.  Cheers for now. Karen

Offline Eric-C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Granda Joseph-C
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 December 13 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen, good to hear from you.
My wife Julie is the Tidbury descendant. (of Charles, GH's brother)
GH's birth place is a bit of a puzzle. Possibly born in Portsea/Portsmouth enroute to or from a military assignment, but was Christened on 1 Nov 1850 at St Johns in Preston, Lancs where Ellen was living outside the Fulwood Barracks where George was stationed. See my note about Census 1851.
George, Charles, Henry are very common names in the family so beware confusion.
Were the Clarkes all related. Name coincidences abound. Elizabeth Ann Cahill is no relation, My family only came to SA in 1948, whereas there were Cahills in Fort Beaufort district from the early 1800's.

More info later, Regards Eric

Offline Karen Cutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric, thanks for getting back to me.  So good to hear about other relations.  Where do you live?  We live in Woking, Surrey with my mom - Joy Richardson (nee Tidbury) and my Aunty Kay (Ford) came from Zimbabwe and now lives in Leeds.  Can you tell me Charles's wife's name so I can fill in that blank?  It seems the Tidbury's and the Clarke's were very close, but my Aunty Ailsa who gave me the information may have got a little mixed up so I will try and get proof of who married who.  Definitely Normal Maxwell Tidbury married Winnifred Constance Clarke and had 8 children.  I have George Henry as coming from Portsmouth.  I am trying to find the war records for Patrick Tidbury who died in December 1942 (that's how I started on this), but not having much luck.  Please send me whatever you have from the Tidbury's side and I will do the same.  Happy 2014! Karen

Offline Gaelene

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 April 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
Dear Karen - I am also a descendant of these Tidbury's and have done a fair amount of digging into how all the families are related, etc as it is certain that the names are so duplicated.  I have not been very busy lately with any of this and happened to be searching a clip of Donald Grey (Eldred Tidbury) when I noticed this thread and thought I need to share some of the information I have on the family as I do find it so fascinating.

I have connected - to be honest a while ago - with a descendant of your side of the two Tidbury brothers (as it appears to me) who went to SA- here is a quick overview of where I fit in. I have it that their parents were, George and Ellen Tidbury (nee O'Brien) who were it seems married in the Church of St Michael Limerick on 12 June 1842 - George Henry Tidbury was born in October 1849 and Charles Tidbury in December 1852 - both born in Preston Lancashire but the death certificate for Charles Tidbury that I have shows Portsmouth ( well never know how accurate it was in those days) . These two brothers became hoteliers in SA - George Henry at Lower Blinkwater and Charles at Tidbury's Toll in Seymour(then known as Stockenstroom). 

GEORGE HENRY married Elizabeth Ann Cahill and had 6 children - Charles Henry, Wiliam Joseph, Susanna Ellen, Mildred Margaret, Albert George and Norman Maxwell.

CHARLES married Emilena Barber and they had 11 children - Charles Henry (again), Walter, Emily, William George, Elizabeth Maria, Robert James, Maude Evelyn, Eulalia Josephine, Anthony Reginald,Myrtle Grace and Everard Vivien. So my grandmother was MAUDE EVELYN - she married Wreford Goodall and they had three boys, Dennis, Basil and Kenneth and one daughter Marjorie -my father was KENNETH Goodall.

I corresponded with Undene Gouverios who did provide me with a lot of the above - she is the grandaughter of WILLIAM JOSEPH TIDBURY who married Matilda Maude Clarke who then had 6 Children - Everett William. Lionel Cuthbert, Constance, Thelma, Edna and Aubrey Aiden - UNDENE's father was EVERETT WILLIAM.

A while ago a researcher from Rhodes University sent me a list of all the Tidbury baptisms done in the Catholic Church in Fort Beaufort as well as a listing of deaths from church registers - it is not complete but did give me a good idea of dates and names of whom to tie up with whom.

I currently live in Dubai and have managed to  do a lot of research via the internet - think I have previoiusly corresponded with Eric Cahill and as well with Eric Smith.

Do let me know how you go and if anything here could be of help - I do hold some newspaper cuttings, etc which I can scan to you as well as the church lists.

Take care and look forward to hearing from you.
Warmest
Gaelene Clarke

Offline Karen Cutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 April 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Gaelene for getting in touch.  It is such a pleasure when a little more of the history is exposed.  I would love to see the articles and church lists if you could send them to me.  My email is (*).  I am particularly interested in finding the birth and death date for Patrick Tidbury - born around 1918.  That is what started this journey.  I have just moved house so not had time to really get into this lately but will start again next week.  I have most of our family tree (Norman Maxwell Tidbury's) side and will upload these asap.  My aunty - Kathleen Ford (nee Tidbury) is really pleased to hear about her family as she lived in Fort Beaufort and knows Tidbury's Toll well.  I have a friend who lives there now and she has been in touch with some of Charles's family so will relay all this info.  Thank you again. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Karen

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Gaelene

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 April 14 12:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Karen - thanks so much  for the reply and will certainly scan what I have and would love to catch up again when you are more settled to see how this whole family is connected. Know it feels great when you do have some more information or perhaps it confirms what you were not so sure about.

Would be so interested to hear more - does your friend live in FBeaufort as I also grew up on a farm around that area called Amhurst and we used to regularly go the Katberg Inn etc. The Patrick Tidbury you are needing more information on - does he perhaps have a second name?

All for now - regards.
Gaelene