Author Topic: Tidbury of Tidbury's Toll, Fort Beaufort, Cape Colony  (Read 15199 times)

Offline Karen Cutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tidbury of Tidbury's Toll, Fort Beaufort, Cape Colony
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 April 14 19:44 BST (UK) »
Sounds really bizarre but Patrick was my mother - Joy Theresa Tidbury's oldest brother, but he died soon after being born.  My mother and her sister think their mother - Winnifred Clarke was pregnant when she got married in 1917 and wanted Patrick's birth date.  Unfortunately there is no record of his birth or death in the records in Fort Beaufort, or a grave, so we are at a loss.  We have however, managed to obtain the war medals and death certificate for their other brother George Aiden Tidbury after I started looking into it here.  I will check with my friend in Fort Beaufort and let you know about the pub.  She says things are obviously VERY different there now.

She met with Hilton Tidbury and writes:-Years before, the tidbury's were of morman faith. Now the person I met this morning is Hilton Tidbury married to Cathy for over 60 years and Hilton was born in Fort Beaufort in 1935 and the son of William Joseph and he has got a little book with the family tree of his side. And the coat of arms of the Tidbury family. No further news.

Lovely to hear from you again.  Will be in touch.
Karen

Offline Tony Goodenough

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 December 14 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaelene,

I see you have Everett William Tidbury in your tree. He married a cousin of mine (Mary Grace Goodenough) back in the 1940's I believe. I've lost trace of them after that other than knowing the couple had 1 girl & 2 boys - one of the latter went on to produce triplets! Do you have any info on any of them, in which case I'd love to hear from you. It seems the Tidbury's have am interesting background - my interest is really whetted!

Regards,

Tony Goodenough
Salisbury, UK

Offline Karen Cutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 June 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaelene and Eric,
My family tree on Geni is getting underway with lots of Tidburys.  Now I'm trying to find my grandmother - Winnifred Constance Clarke's parents.  She married Norman Maxwell Tidbury and the 2 families are tied by 4 marriages.  However, none of the family trees list her parents and my aunty Kay can't remember their names.  My mom - Joy Tidbury passed away in August and I can't find any record of who they were.  So if anyone can supply me with their names I'd be so grateful.
Thanks
Karen

Offline Steve Tidbury

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Does anybody have a copy of the coat of arms for the Tidbury family

Thanks
Steve Tidbury

Offline Everett Tidbury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Everett Almero Tidbury - Fort Beaufort Tidburys
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I see you have Everett William Tidbury in your tree. He married a cousin of mine (Mary Grace Goodenough) back in the 1940's I believe. I've lost trace of them after that other than knowing the couple had 1 girl & 2 boys - one of the latter went on to produce triplets! Do you have any info on any of them, in which case I'd love to hear from you. It seems the Tidbury's have am interesting background - my interest is really whetted!

Hi there,
My name is Everett Almero Tidbury, I am named after Everett William Tidbury, he was my great grandfather, his sons were Hilton, Kevin and daughter, Undene. Hilton Tidbury being my grandfather, Hilton is still married to Kathy (Johanna Kathleen Killian, my Grandmother) after all these years! She is the one to have the Triplets you mentioned (First set of triplets in Port Elizabeth in 20 years at the time, I believe), all three are my uncles, Wayne, Mark and Gary(Deceased). As well as two other children, Shaun Mathew Tidbury (My father) and Delray Tidbury (Now Turner, and still living in Fort Beaufort) Hilton and Kathy now also live in Fort Beaufort once again.

From the Hilton and Kathy line, there are only two male grand children, my close cousin Dominic Tidbury, son of Wayne Tidbury, and myself son of Shaun Tidbury.

If you require any information on this line of Tidbury's (The Fort Beaufort Tidburys) please don't hesitate to ask. :)
Tidbury

Offline Karen Cutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 10:19 GMT (UK) »
So wonderful to hear from you Everett.  Thank you for getting in touch.  I would really appreciate any additions you can contribute to my tree on Geni.  If you send me your normal email I can add you to the tree and you can add or change anything you like.  I'm not sure how far back your knowledge goes but there are a few discrepancies with the line in the early 1600's, so if you have any factual sources they would help. I was in touch with Hilton and Kathy through a friend of mine in Fort Beaufort.  They were most helpful.  I've tried to contact Shaun, but no luck, so really pleased to hear from you.  I look forward to adding this info to my tree and getting you on board.  Both my grandparents, the Tidbury's and the Clarke's had fascinating backgrounds as 1820 settlers in South Africa.

Offline Everett Tidbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karen, and thanks for the welcome.

I've actually just sent my father the info to join this forum and give his input, his knowledge on the family is much more extensive than mine.

In one of your previous posts you mentioned a little booklet of the Tidbury family with the Coat of arms, I actually had that same booklet in my possession at one time. I can't recall whether I returned it to my Grandfather, or if I still have it. (This was years ago, and I have moved a few times since.) But will ask if I can get it again.

I'll gladly join up on your Geni page,
Look forward to hearing from you.

Tidbury

Offline Karen Cutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I've added you to our tree Everett.  You will receive a request from Geni.  I have the same tree on My Heritage and they should link automatically.  Would be so good if you could fill-in all your family details as I see there are quite a lot of people missing.  Some photos would also be lovely.  If you come across the Coat of Arms I'd love to see it, as would Steve Tidbury.  Thanks again and hopefully we can help one another find our roots.

Offline Everett Tidbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, you're a star! I am already updating as I go along. :D 
Will get some pictures of the family too.

Looking at the tree is giving me goosebumps, its really awesome. making me miss my family here. haha, time to make some calls.

Will keep you posted about the booklet and coat of arms.

Tidbury