Author Topic: Cahill family in Kingwilliamstown?  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Eric-C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Granda Joseph-C
    • View Profile
Cahill family in Kingwilliamstown?
« on: Thursday 09 February 06 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Ann Cahill b 6 Oct 1865, KWT, m George Henry Tidbury 25 Aug 1874, d 1925, Tidburys Toll, Fort Beaufort.
Who were her parents & siblings, when did they arrive in Cape.
ESME BULL: AIDED IMMIGRATION FROM BRITAIN TO SOUTH AFRICA 1857-1867 has Cahill p 130. any lookups?
Thanks,
Eric-C
ps my wife is related, not me, in spite of name co-incidence. My C family immigrated only in 1948.
Co Antrim, Belfast, Armagh - Cahill, Murphy<br />Co Down, Ballynahinch - Murphy<br />Co Fermanagh, Irvinestown - Morrison<br />Co F, Florence Crt - Wallace, Morrison<br />Cumbria, Whitehaven - Murphy<br />Co Limerick, Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Hants, Portsea - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Lancs, Preston - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Berks, Thatcham - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Kent, unkn, - Harrison<br />Germany - Klassen, Ordemann<br />S.Africa - Tidbury, Harrison, Klassen, Ordemann, Barber

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cahill family in Kingwilliamstown?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 06 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Why dont you put a posting on the Rootsweb mailing list for either British emigrants or the Eastern Cape one - I know there are researchers out there with details. also search the Rootsweb mailing list for british immigrants
Ruth
Do you have her death notice? perhaps that lists details of her family
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 06 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric,

The LDS site offers up the following IGI records for the CAHILL family :

John CAHILL m. 8 Sept 1829 in Grahamstown, Mary Ann BROWN
children of this couple
i. John CAHILL b. 29 Oct 1839 d. 15 June 1879 m. 1864 in King Williams Town, Anne Jane GIBSON
ii. Catherine CAHILL b. abt 1841

Children of John CAHILL and Anne Jane:
a. Elizabeth Ann CAHILL b. 6 Oct 1865
b. Florence CAHILL chr. 20 Aug 1868
c. Catherine Mary CAHILL b. 25 April 1871 d. 1960 m. 11 Mar 1891 in East London, Alfred Ernest SHOOTER
d. Margaret Louisa CAHILL b. 28 Oct 1873

Further :
There is a Michael CAHILL b. abt 1822 and Susannah ? who had a number of children , including Michael Alexander CAHILL b. Feb 1858 , who married Amelia MULROY. This family lived in Fort Beaufort and later also in King William's Town ... could well be a link to *your* CAHILL family above.

OH AND!! ....

I've just found a christening record posted to the Rootsweb mailing list by the transcriber, Nolene Lossau ... for a John Henry CAHILL b. 29 Oct 1839 and christened 19 Nov 1839 at the Fort Beaufort Wesleyan Methodist.  The record is posted as :

24 CAHILL John Henry
John and Enory?? Of 75th Reg
1839/10/29
1839/11/19

and can be found at

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/textindices/S/SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH+2003+625819639162+F

"Enory??" could well be Mary and the birth dates seem to tie up to the John CAHILL detailed on the IGI.  It seems John Snr. was with the 75th regiment ... possibly went to the Cape as a soldier?

A King William's Town christening record, transcribed and uploaded to the same list by Ellen Stanton, reveals that John Jnr. seemed to have died in 1873-1874

Entry #99
Child: Margaret Louisa CAHILL
Parents: John (now deceased) and Ann Jane
Born: 10/28/1873
Baptized: 7/16/1874

Search the Rootsweb South Africa Mailing list archives for other information.  There appears to also be a list member (Ina) who is researching the CAHILL family from that area too ... . her email address will be in the archives, with one of her messages.

Good Luck!
Leanne
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 06 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I got quite carried away with myself and didn't answer your original question!

The CAHILL listed in Esme Bull's book is
Dennis CAHILL, an excavator, aged 37 who arrived on 22 Sept 1859.  It seems he was contracted by the Railways.

best wishes
Leanne
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline Eric-C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Granda Joseph-C
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 06 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Rutti & leanne.
I have subsequently found out that my wife is NOT related to KWT Cahill's.
Geo H. Tidbury and brother Charles both had sons "Charles Henry" and we were following the wrong line.
I will pass the info on to GHT descendants.
Regards,
Eric-C
PS this thread can be closed, unless anyone else wishes to continue it. Tks E
Co Antrim, Belfast, Armagh - Cahill, Murphy<br />Co Down, Ballynahinch - Murphy<br />Co Fermanagh, Irvinestown - Morrison<br />Co F, Florence Crt - Wallace, Morrison<br />Cumbria, Whitehaven - Murphy<br />Co Limerick, Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Hants, Portsea - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Lancs, Preston - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Berks, Thatcham - Tidbury, O'Brien<br />Kent, unkn, - Harrison<br />Germany - Klassen, Ordemann<br />S.Africa - Tidbury, Harrison, Klassen, Ordemann, Barber

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 March 06 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Eric,

I'm busy transcribing the Catholic Baptism records for Grahamstown and have come across a number of Cahill records.  I see that your Cahill research is linked to Ireland, could they be Catholic?  I'd be happy to post the records on here once i'm done if you think there might be a link.

cheers
Leanne

^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline Eric-C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Granda Joseph-C
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 March 06 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leanne, as I stated above I am not directly interested in the EC Cahill's as my wife is descended from Charles, brother of George Henry, who married Elizabeth Ann Cahill.
However other Tidbury researchers in our group will be interested I am sure.
Please post any records you come across.
The Tidbury's appear to be mainly Catholic although many were married in other churches.
Thanks
Eric-C

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 March 06 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric,
Sorry i misread your posting.  For others interested in the CAHILL's of the eastern cape .... I've listed the CAHILL baptism references taken from the Index of the St Patrick's Catholic Church in Grahamstown. 

1838  CAHIL, Elizabeth Anne Ref 1/23
1840 CAHILL, John Ref 1/102
1843 CAHILL, Catherine Ref 1/217
1845 CAHILL, Robert Ref 1/285
1851 CAHILL, Augustine Ref 1/485
1853 CAHILL, Walter Thos. Matthias[?] Ref 1/569
1857 CAHILL, James Joseph Ref 1/712
1857 CAHILL, Martin Ref 1/713
1860 CAHILL, Anthony Peter Ref 1/930

Ref 1/xx refers to Baptismal Register 1 . (ad 1838 - 1862)
Transcribed by myself from the LDS film # 14390134, Item #1.
The register is also available on the same LDS film and is in the process of being transcribed.  It will probably be uploaded to the ZA-British Immigrants list on Rootsweb.

I find no TIDBURYs listed in the Index for Grahamstown.  I know that the Catholic Fort Beaufort register is also being transcribed and could be uploaded to the list on rootsweb sometime in the future.

best wishes
Leanne

^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline SantaSandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I am very interested in William GIBSON (1820-1880) who is the father of Ann Jane GIBSON 1843 who married John CAHILL in Kingwilliamstown in 1864. It appears that his father also William GIBSON was in the Cape in 1817 when he was given permission to remain. I am interested if his father was a soldier or on what basis he travelled to South Africa, Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is my first post.