Author Topic: 1821 wellington census, a question ??  (Read 752 times)

Offline homeguard

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1821 wellington census, a question ??
« on: Saturday 11 February 06 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please tell me what area this census covered, did it include Kinnersley, many thanks.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: 1821 wellington census, a question ??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 06 19:25 GMT (UK) »
The 1821 census was simply a count of the number of people in the parish,  the number of occupied and unoccupied houses and a very rough break down of the occupations in which they were involved.  Each enumeration district was not less than 25 houses and no more than 200 houses.  No names were recorded until 1841.  Occupations were broken down into agriculture, manufacture, handicraft and commerce in 1801.  By 1831 this had been extended to seven for males

You may find the deatils in the local library or record office
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline homeguard

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 06 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, until I saw the posting on rootschat I did not know that any census existed before 1841, as far as I know there is no census before 1841 that is not held at my local records or library so is it possible to say what area is covered by this Wellington census ?

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 06 11:26 GMT (UK) »
It does appear that the Overseers records upon which the enumerators returns for Wellington have been preserved and are available for purchase.

I suggest that you google - 1821 Wellington Census - and decide whether any of the sites that come up is going to be any use to you.  It does look as if for some surnames there is some information available on line.

Otherwise it looks as though Telford Library could be your best bet.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk