Author Topic: Linlithgow parish records  (Read 6105 times)

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Linlithgow parish records
« on: Saturday 11 February 06 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody have access to Linlithgow parish records who could check a couple of entries for me? I'm trying to find information on Robert McCulloch and Euphemia Gillies and their family. They married in Linlithgow 20 May 1744 - I only have index entries, don't have access to the OPR just now..

Jenny

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Linlithgow parish records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 March 06 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I don't have access to the OPR's but I have the Bitish Vital Records CD's and have found quite a few children who I'm presuming were born to your couple.

It seems that Robert's wife was Eupham and not Euphemia as you had thought.

Anyway, here they are:

John MCCULLOCH, Born: 24 Apr 1745
Birthplace: Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland
Recorded in: Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland
Father: Robert MCCULLOCH
Mother: Eupham GILLIES

James MCCULLOCH, Born: 12 Nov 1747
Mother: Youpham GILLIES

Agnes MCCULLOCH, Born: 7 Jul 1750

Robert MCCULLOCH, Born: 3 Aug 1755

William MCCULLOCH, Born: 3 Aug 1755

Susanna MCCULLOCH, Born: 26 Sep 1757
Father:   Robert MCCULLOCH
Mother:   Euphan GILLIES

Hope this helps,

Anne

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 March 06 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear Anne,
First, thanks - but Eupham is the 'older' version of what we would today think of as 'Euphemia'. In her descendants, the name became both 'Euphemia' and 'Euphamia'... I was modernising it. All these are indeed their children, including the twins, William and Robert - I am descended from William.

However, what I am really after is information, which some people may have, about the families they come from. The marriage record, and also the specifics of the birth records for their children (as in witnesses, etc), may give some of this. I do have information about later descendants. But what I am most lacking is info on Robert McCulloch - his father was James, but aside from that I have essentially nothing... if you have info via British Vital Records (who produces these?) it may indicate his birth.

regards, and again thanks,
Jenny

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 06 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I had a wee look for James born 1725 +/- 5 years but there are no entries in West Lothian.

The only one I could find anywhere near was born in 1731 in St. Ninian's in Stirlingshire but he would have been too young to have married in 1744.

The British Vital Records are a set of CD's containing "10.4 million birth and christening records and 1.9 million marriage records from Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales" and are available from LDS and cost around 10 GBP.

Anne

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 06 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny, the best thing is to get in touch with your nearest LDS church were you can view the OPR,s for Linlithgow, maybe your nearest Family history society could help you to obtain the film you require, all the info you need should be on the film for Linlithgow,good luck Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline fgw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 06 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    You may well have had a look at the films of the Linlithgow parish records by now and if not I would advise you to definitely have a look. Some of my famliy came from Linlithgow, unfortunately not your names but over the years I have had the Linlithgow films out many times at my local LDS library. The Linlithgow records are particularly good and often give the names and occupations of parents on the marriage records. If your not sure where your local LDS library is just look on www.familysearch.org and there is a section where you can search for your nearest library. I don't think you will regret looking at them.

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 April 06 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks, all. However - if I had easy access to a family history centre I would not be asking these questions. I have seen some of the Linlithgow and Muiravonside records, notably at the Edinburgh library, and I'll be up there again in the summer at some point.. and hopefully also in Linlithgow. I want to have lunch at the Bridge Inn, which was in my family for a bit :) . There are also the various family history societies to which I belong - in Edinburgh and Glasgow, when I get there again.

(Muiravonside records, alas, are pretty sparse - and part of the time my famly was just over the border, at that inn...)

However, the nearest LDS centre is away over the other side of the (quite large) city in which I live, and has very short opening hours which are not at times when I can be there without a lot of advance preparation - I have phoned them and asked. It may be, though, that in the summer I'll be able to go there a couple of times. 

Jenny