Author Topic: Margaret KERR  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Margaret KERR
« on: Sunday 12 February 06 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Seeking birth record of Margaret KERR.  On 1851 Census it indicates she came from Yetholm, Roxboroughshire.  Born about 1794.

She married John REEKIE in Finsbury, London 22 September 1817.  John also came from Scotland, but don't know where.  Just in case he was from the same area, he was born about 1796.

Not sure of the area again, but I'm also interested in the birth and marriage records for William HARKES, born about 1817, Scotland.  His wife Elizabeth also from Scotland, born about 1824.  Their first child, Allison Harkes was born in Scotland about 1851.

If anyone can help I would be grateful.

Thanks
Jan
JOHNSTON, STOCKER - Middlesex
DORMODY (and variants)
HERRING - Oxford, Bucks, Warwickshire, Essex
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret KERR
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I think all the records you are looking for will be in the Old Parish Registers as statutory registration did not come into force until 1855 in Scotland.  These are not available to view online unfortunately, but I think the LDS Family History Centres can get the microfiche for you.

Do you know the names of the parents of the people you are looking for?  Or alternatively, the names of all the children?  It was common in Scotland to use a naming pattern for the children, using the grandparents then the parents names.  This might help narrow down the correct people in the event that there are more than one person that matches in the OPRs.

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...