Author Topic: Fireworks from Lepton  (Read 4804 times)

Offline Scottiedog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandma
    • View Profile
Fireworks from Lepton
« on: Monday 13 February 06 22:12 GMT (UK) »
From as long ago as I can remember, we always had this tale in the family of my grandmother having some connection with a firework factory. Apparently she used to visit relatives and come back with large boxes of fireworks. From time to time she received money. My dad knew when this happened because he'd get a new pair of shoes. This was back in the 20s and times were hard on Merseyside what with the "Means Test" and such.

At some point, perhaps around 1930, she may have received a larger sum, possibly on the sale of the company. So perhaps she had a financial stake in it - I don't know. I had it fixed in my mind that the surname Jessop was involved.

Last year I got started tracing the family tree. I soon traced my grandmother's father to Lepton, near Huddersfield and realised that, despite the fact I'd never heard of the place, it was once the centre of the English firework industry. Sure enough, the Jessop family were there making fireworks and splitting off into several different companies.

Now to the point ... so far I've been unable to connect my grandmother's family to the Jessop firework family. I've visited Lepton - interesting, but not much help although it was nice meeting with people who once made their living making fireworks and I was certainly made welcome! Yorkshire hospitality - you can't beat it. That's praise indeed coming from a scouser!

I've tried the local history library in Huddersfield - some interesting background, but not much detail.

I even tried a Pyrotechnics forum, but they insist on vetting your reasons for wanting to join (explosives and post 9/11 paranoia I suppose). Suffice it to say my reasons failed to convince them and I was left out in the cold  >:(

If anyone out there knows about this particular slice of Yorkshire history and can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for reading this far - sorry about the ramble.

Les
Scott (Dublin, Merseyside)
Booth,Houlden,Jarvis,Kenyon,Paver,Wigglesworth (Yorkshire)
Attwater,Crawshaw,Houlden,Lord,Lowe (Lancashire)

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fireworks from Lepton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les

Just been googling for some info you probably already have it but you are aware there was an Allen Jessop who set up in the firework industry, according to info just read anyway.

The company was so called "Lion Fireworks"

in 1881 there was a Benjamin Jessop aged 22 bn Lepton son of above Allen who was down as a Pyro and employing 40 "hands"

On the same census the was also an Eli Jessop aged 22 bn Lepton who was down as a Pyro.

In 1908 according to The Times Newspaper there was a Dissolved Patnership of Firework Manufacturers from Lepton a B. Jessop.

Wendy

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Scottiedog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy

Thanks for taking the time to look those details up. As you suggested, I already have some of this information, but the 1908 partnership dissolution is new to me. I'm guessing this would be the partnership of Ben Jessop and Harry Kilner. I would welcome the reference if you have it.

I should have put more relevant detail in my original post. Here's what I've pieced together so far (although I'm not at all sure I've got this straight):

It looks like there were 3 Jessop firework companies. After the founder Allen Jessop died his son Elliott continued to run Allen’s original factory. Two other sons, Humphrey and Eli, started their own business and Ben formed a partnership with Harry Kilner. Harry was a grandson of Allen Jessop by his daughter Mary, i.e. Ben’s nephew. It was this latter company which became first the Yorkshire Firework Co. and then later Lion Fireworks and which stayed in business until 1970 (but under Kilner family control). Jessop Brothers (Humphrey and Eli’s Co.) sold out to Standard Fireworks in 1917. Elliot Jessop’s firm (I think it was Jessop and Sons) was managed and later bought by the Parretts. The Parrett family sold out to Standard in the 1930’s. Standard finally closed in Lepton in 1987.

A fourth Lepton firework company was Globe Fireworks, owned by the Shaw family.

My grandmother's family was Booth.

Regards
Les

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les

You do seem to have a fair bit of info then don't you.

I have sent a PM with my email address if you would like to send me an email I can forward the required reference to the dissolvement of Partnership.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Scottiedog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have picked up quite a bit of info, but I don't really know how to proceed and make the a connection to my grandmother. As far as I know she never lived in Lepton, but her father did when young.

The timing of the business closures etc., would suggest that my grandmother's connection was to Elliott Jessop's business. But it's just supposition.

Thanks again
Les

Offline fringe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Lion Fireworks in Lepton were still a going concern up until the early sixties.
Haigh & Shaw - Colne Valley; Wilde - Calder & Colne Valley; Teal - Oldham & Huddersfield

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 18:59 GMT (UK) »
There was/is Standard fireworks up at Crossland Moor as well. And Black Cat??
I wonder why there was such a pyrotechnic connection in Hudds?
Also, and someone might like to research this, I recall that in the 1970/80's and beyond there was a chap, a vicar I think, former old boy of Almondbury Grammar who had a firework display company somewhere in the Midlands. They did displays all over the country.

Offline Stevenlfireworks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 June 21 17:12 BST (UK) »
There was/is Standard fireworks up at Crossland Moor as well. And Black Cat??
I wonder why there was such a pyrotechnic connection in Hudds?
Also, and someone might like to research this, I recall that in the 1970/80's and beyond there was a chap, a vicar I think, former old boy of Almondbury Grammar who had a firework display company somewhere in the Midlands. They did displays all over the country.

Hi Bykerlads

The old boy you refer to was most likely the Reverand Ron Lancaster who up until February 2019 owned Kimbolton Fireworks. The company has now been taken over by Phoenix Fireworks.

Steve