Author Topic: Clackworthy/Hill around Falmouth  (Read 3142 times)

Offline wulliam

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Clackworthy/Hill around Falmouth
« on: Monday 27 September 04 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi! I'm researching my wife's family history as well as my own - she's descended from Clackworthy's and Bickford's who lived around Falmouth in the second half of the 1800's.

I have the following detail from censuses:
1871: Thomas and Elizabeth Clackworthy with son. Also Charles and Nancy Hill with children. These are 2 seemingly unrelated families.

1881: Charles and Nancy Clackworthy with children identical to all those seen in 1871 - a complete mixture of the two families above. Same names, dob's etc

1891: Thomas and Nancy Clackworthy with children as 1881

1901: As 1891.

My theory is that the 1871 Charles Hill died and Nancy remarried a brother of Thomas Clackworthy thereby linking the two families. Then Elizabeth Clackworthy (1871) died - but Thomas didn't feel able to look after his children and so his brother and sister-in-law agreed to take them in. Then Charles Clackworthy died. Thus Thomas Clackworthy and Nancy Clackworthy (formerly Hill, formerly maiden name) were both alone.....Nancy with Thomas's children! So they married.

This is quite convoluted - but the only way I can see of explaining the data. I haven't found any BMD documents yet - and no proof at all that Thomas Clackworthy had a brother called Charles....

I wonder has anyone else considered these folk?

Regards,
William
http://wulliam.rootschat.net

Names and areas I'm searching:
Point, Isle of Lewis: Macleod, Murray
Nairnshire: Cumming, Fraser,Moir
Lincolnshire: Waite, Horn, Moore, Starmer
Norfolk: Wells, Hawes, Rix
Birmingham: Rogers
Bath: Ashman, Weeks
Aughnacloy, N.I: McCamley
Armagh, N.I: Browne, Skelly, Riley
Cornwall: Bickford, Jenkin[g], Watts
Limavady, N.I: Lyons, McIlmoyle, Currie, Clarke

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clackworthy/Hill around Falmouth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 November 04 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I also have a HILL family in Devon who are giving me a headache this time in Harberton, Devon.
Ellen BICKFORD born 1862 was the daughter of William and Elizabeth BICKFORD.  Her marriage certificate in 13/4/1884 shows her as Ellen Hill and a spinster, her father is given as William Pickford Hill a farm labourer.
The 1881 census shows Ellen Hill aged 18 and single with her uncle, John Bickford both lodgers.  Also in the household is a Susan Hill aged 78 and unmarried.

Does anyone have any ideas about how Ellen BICKFORD became Ellen HILL?

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk