Author Topic: thorne woodgate ancestor married in bc in 1800's, to aboriginal woman  (Read 2050 times)

Offline woodgate-thorne

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thorne woodgate ancestor married in bc in 1800's, to aboriginal woman
« on: Wednesday 15 February 06 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I am first nations or more notably native north american Indian, my great great granfathers name was Zackaria William Thorne Woodgate Sr., my6 mother says he jumped ship in Vicotria, BC Canada in 1800's.  Seems that there are a number of Thornes in England, not sure where he came from in England, but i am sure we have relatives there.
Fran (Thorne) Nahanee

Just curious if anyone knows how i can get more info. on the family of thorne woodgate. Woodgate is the part of my ancestors name that was dropped so there is a large family of thornes in Duncan, BC.  We are Cowichan People.

Offline Joanne in Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: thorne woodgate ancestor married in bc in 1800's, to aboriginal woman
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Fran!  Have you made any progress on your Woodgate / Thorne line?  It sounds like you don't live in Cowichan [I do], but if I understand your name, you are now married to a Nahanee - so I am guessing you are now in the Squamish Territory?  [I was actually there recently for the Hawaiian Party].  I do a lot of researching on the island with these old families, so people do ask me 'have you ever heard of...'  And someone asked me about the Woodgate name today.  I am wondering if Mary Jane Woodgate is the woman who married Joe Peters and who was therefore the mother of Evelyn Peters who married Chuck Thorne?  Then again, Mary Jane is just probably a common name.  Anyway, just wondered fi you had made any progress.  Joanne in Cowichan Bay
Hitchen-Hart-Farrimond-Critchley in Wigan area
Burdett in Norfolk
Astradson in Sweden and Minnesota

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Fran and Joanne,

Welcome to RootsChat.

If I'm reading your post right, you have no idea where your Woodgates or Thornes came from other than somewhere in the U.K.

Do you have any dates for William jumping ship or Zakaria's birth? It helps if you can give them.

Unfortunately, there's no Canadian board but the people on the Canadian Emigrants board are very helpful and they may be able to give you a few pointers.

May I suggest you try posting either on the Emigrants to Canada or the Common Room where I'm sure you will get some help.

Happy hunting,

Genie in Toronto :)
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Bobbi jeanduncan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 August 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
I'm related to Elizabeth nahanee through ancestry DNA.  I found zachariah Woodgate on merchant navy ship . Born 1831 approx. His daughter Mary Jane and son zachariah were taken in by Arthur Todd when he died. Mary Jane Todd married fielding.  I've seen zachariah Woodgate/ Billy Thorne s will. (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Joanne in Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Bobbi Jean!  I too have DNA matches to the Thorne family and have done research on both the Thorne and Fielding families.  Probably already shared with your cousin Darlene!  If there is anything specifically I can help you with, let me know.  Joanne
Burdett in Norfolk

Offline Bobbi jeanduncan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne.  I'm helping new cousin search.  Do you have an ancestry tree I can be linked to for a look at what you have? (*)
Thank you 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Joanne in Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
BTW, only the girl was taken by Arthur Todd and his wife.  The son was known mostly as Billy and after the death of his father, he and his mother returned to Clem-clem-aluts, Cowichan flats.  Later he moved into Somenos Village..  He is the ancestor of all the THORNE family from Cowichan today. 
I have his obituary with such details.
Burdett in Norfolk

Offline Bobbi jeanduncan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
Wow that's great.  Could you email me the obituary please.  His mother's name? Thanks