Author Topic: JOYCE, Benjamin  (Read 12238 times)

Offline bje2000

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOYCE, Benjamin
« on: Thursday 16 February 06 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my ggg grandfather Benjamin Joyce was born 27/7/1821 in Somerset (at this point I can't ascertain the parish). At some time prior to 1834 his family moved to the Middlesex area.
On 3/7/1834 he was convicted at The Old Bailey of stealing shoes and sentenced to transportation to Australia.
His parents are Benjamin and Sophia. I can not locate any other details about this couple and have struck a brick wall. I do know that he had a brother Samuel born 3/2/1836, christened 2/5/1836 at St Leonards Shoreditch.
If anyone has any additional information about this family, your help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks & regards
Bret Ellis
Bouncing Emails

Offline John_Joyce1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: JOYCE, Benjamin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hello. Benjamin Joyce (1820-1890) is my GG Grandfather. I have been researching the Joyce Family tree on Ancestory.com.au. I have found scanned documents of the notice in the paper of his court sentence, transportation to Australia, picture of his grave and other ancillary information. He and another unidentified boy stole 2 pair of shoe worth 11 shillings. If you want more info just google his name or reply to this.

Also his father's name was Benjamin Joyce (1785-1853) who was married to Sophia Lacey. They were paupers and lived in a workhouse in London. I am having trouble finding where this line of joyce's came from before this but am finding information difficult to obtain.

If you are related to Benjamin Joyce the convict then you know of his wife Anne Trotter. So far I have been able to trace deviations of her line to 980AD. Her ancestors were part of the French Royal family with several Count, Dutchesses and Knighted folks.

Offline John_Joyce1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is what you want but Benjamin Joyce that was married to Anne Trotter had 2 brothers and 1 sister that I have been able to find so far. There was Frank George Joyce 1818-1877, Sophia Joyce 1826-1866 and then Samuel that you already seem to know about.

Did you know that Benjamin had 14 children and that he temporarily seperated from his wife in 1853? They had 4 kids at the time. Benjamin was also charged with Vagrency (he was homeless at the time of seperation). They got back together and had another 10 kids so I suppose it worked out for them.

I am trying to find information on Benjamin Joyce Senior (the one married to Sophia Lacey). I know by Census information that he resided in a workhouse and worked as a Stich Weaver. He was there with Sophia at the time of the Census they were both 55yr old at the time but no other Joyces were listed residing in the house. I would love so much to find where he was born and who his parents were.

Still looking.

Offline John_Joyce1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 12:50 BST (UK) »
BTW Benjamin's brother Frank George Joyce was born in Badcox, Somerset, England so I presume that is the parish you are looking for.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
Maybe related;
Benjamin JOYCE, Birth 10 April 1788, Baptised 27 February 1790, St John the Baptist, Frome, Somerset
Parents BENJAMIN/ELIZABETH
Siblings;
MARY 1790
WILLIAM 1792
ELIZABETH 1794
Benjamin Married Elizabeth DOWDALE 1787
Benjamin/Sophias Marriage 1815 is there too

+ Benjamin JOYCE, 27 July 1765, St John the Baptist, Frome
Parents BENJAMIN/MARY

FRANK GEORGE Joyce, Birth 25 Oct 1818, Baptised 30 Oct 1819, St John, Frome
Parents BENJAMIN/SOPHIA
Abode Badcox, Fathers Occp Weaver

Source of all Records;
www.freereg.org.uk

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
I noticed you said Benjamin/Sophia are down as age 55 in 1841.
I have a census with them as 50 and Sophia age 15 is with the also ;
HO107/710/4/Christchurch Spitalfields

Although appearing on the 1851 Census as Married SOPHIA Joyce did not appear to Marry Richard WINTER til March 1859, Bethnal Green, 1c 474.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline John_Joyce1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
Woops you are absolutly correct. I had another look at the 1841 census and yes they were 50yr old and Sophia Jnr was 15. I am wondering if you can help me out. I am wanting to find out as much as I can of the Joyce family. How did you come across this information on Benjamin Joyce (1785-1852) as I can. You stated that his parents name were Benjamin and Elizabeth. BTW I am curious where you fit in the tree. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Offline John_Joyce1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
I also had another look at the 1851 census that lists a Benjamin Joyce staying in a workhouse. The problem is that it says his age was 66. This is obviously not the Benjamin Joyce that is related to me as I know the 1841 census to be correct and he was 50yr old then. So in the 1851 he should have only been 60 not 66.
BTW I am getting all my information from Ancestory.com.au

Offline John_Joyce1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 23:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry I'm wrong again I meant Benjamin Joyce 1788 (not1785) I had an old person moment.