Author Topic: Parish Registers?  (Read 1997 times)

Offline lynda

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Parish Registers?
« on: Wednesday 21 January 04 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know how, if I find an entry in the Parish Registers (England) , can I get a copy of that entry? Or does one have to hire a copy of the film from the Mormons and just print off a copy from that?
Sorry if it's a silly question!
Lynda
Edwards - Somerton SOM
Palmer - Long Sutton SOM
Deer - West Wratting CAM
Deer - Notting Hill
Deer - Willesden MDX
Reffin-  Walton on the Wold LEI
Duke -  Somerton SOM
Brain - Somerton SOM
Davis (Henry) - Bristol

Offline Ely-ite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Parish Registers?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 January 04 21:32 GMT (UK) »
If a record office or museum have the parish records they might copy them for a fee (some also charge for finding it) but some books are too fragile and they don't allow it. It's best to look up the address of where they are kept and phone up. Might be worth asking if you could take a digital picture of the record. You would have to know dates etc in advance.

Offline Swift5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 January 04 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I use the facilities of the LDS on a regular basis.  It costs only a small amount for the LDS to get hold of the parish records for you, and you normally have a month to peruse the film - usually more than enough time.  And you can usually get a print of whatever section you want to keep, depending on whether the Family History Centre to which you go has the reader/ printer or not.
Don't have one yet.

Offline lynda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 January 04 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice. I'm in Australia and the records I want are in England...which makes it kinda difficult. I have a census record on order from the LDS so can't order anything else until I'm finished with that. Not that it's arrived yet. Thanks again.
Lynda
Edwards - Somerton SOM
Palmer - Long Sutton SOM
Deer - West Wratting CAM
Deer - Notting Hill
Deer - Willesden MDX
Reffin-  Walton on the Wold LEI
Duke -  Somerton SOM
Brain - Somerton SOM
Davis (Henry) - Bristol

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 04 20:15 GMT (UK) »
I have a photocopy of a marriage page for Rostherne St Marys, the date is 1746, and contains several two line hand written entries for other people on the same date.

I obtained it from Chester Record office, for a nominal cost.

Hope this helps

Offline Les Darley

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Living in Australia and finding research hard to d
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 February 04 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynda,

I am also in Australia (Sydney) and am allowed to order more than one film at a time.  I have seen some people with up to six at a time.

Les
Names:  Darley, Wheeler, Heseltine, Hagger, Morritt, Bedford, Bodman, Naylor.

Areas:  Huttons Ambo, Rillington, Pickering, Howden, Ripon, Farnham, Gillingham (Kent), Barnet.

Offline Swift5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers?
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 15:55 GMT (UK) »
One of the regulars at our local LDS gets up to 20 at a time!  Costs him a fortune!
Don't have one yet.

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers?
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Some of the local Family History Societies have projects to transcribe parish registers and they make photocopies of the original registers. Once the records are entered onto a computer, the photocopes are returned to the County Records Office for use by researchers. This seems to strike a good balance between preserving the fragile registers for posterity and supporting research. If you find your have a host of ancestors from one parish, it is often possible to get a complete set of that parish's records but coverage is very sporadic. I should imagine accuracy is better than with LDS as each entry is checked repeatedly. It's probably worth checking the web site of the FHS for the area of interest to see what they have. I am a member of one society and for a nominal fee, I can get somebody to check a register entry for me, which is very helpful if you live 200 miles away like I do.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell