Author Topic: Hawkshaws and Greevys in Aghagower  (Read 12324 times)

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hawkshaws and Greevys in Aghagower
« on: Sunday 19 February 06 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Hawkshaws of Aghagower, Ayle, Toberrooaun and Westport and have made great headway. I need to find some information about Greevys who are connected with our family. If anyone has any knowledge about any of the above, please post a reply.
Other names associated with our family in that area are Croker, Malynn, McGing and Basquill.

Offline tillymint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkshaws and Greevys in Aghagower
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 December 06 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Hope you see this, I know you posted in February :) I have a little information on the Basquills, its very hard to find anything about when they were in Ireland but you are welcome to what I do have
Basquill, Allsop, Thatcher, Hoy,Knowlson, Waterson, Dale, Platt

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 07 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Yes, please - I'd love to see your info. on the Basquills.
Many thanks.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 March 08 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hawkshaw,

When were your ancestors in Aghagower, Ayle, Toberrooaun and Westport?

Christopher

Offline ChgoIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 June 10 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, I also have Greevy roots from Aghagower and would like to see if we share family ties

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 June 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Anne Grievey/Greevy was my great, great grandmother who had 3 children by Michael Hawkshaw of Aghagower in the 1870s. He was married to someone else! She moved to Altamont St., Westport at some stage and I think she called herself a widow, even though she didn't ever marry anyone.

Her daughter was Mary (my great grandmother), who called herself Hawkshaw before marriage. She married John Croker who died, then Thomas Malynn. She had 4 children by each husband and the fourth of these was Lily Croker, my grandmother.

Does this fit in with anyone at all? I was amazed to find all of this out when I started researching, as I thought that having 3 children by a married man in those times would have been outrageous and not something that she could have covered up!

Thanks,

Ann.

Offline ChgoIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 June 10 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann,

Unfortunately this does not appear to match our family.  My great grandfather was Richard Greevy and he had 4 children -Michael one of his sons was my grandfather and he came to the US in 1904.  I know there was one girl that stayed in Ireland and her name was Bridget and she marred someone whose last name was Watters.  I have been hoping to find some of the family down thru Bridget but so far have not had any luck.  I know she has at least one child, a daughter named Mary Elizabeth.  From the 1911 census they lived at Toorbuck in Aghagower. 

Sandee

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 June 10 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandee,

I'd say that our families were probably related further back as Aghagower is very small and there weren't many Greevys there. I have visited Aghagower a couple of times.

I'll keep you in mind if I find any more connections for my Anne Greevy and let you know if I can connect her to your Richard.

Regards,

Ann.

Offline ChgoIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 June 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I appreciate that.  I have found from my researching a John Greevy also from Toorbuck so I looks like he was Richard's father.  I was just there in May but only has a short time there as I was on a tour.  I hope to go back in another year or 2 at the latest.

Sandee