Author Topic: Hawkshaws and Greevys in Aghagower  (Read 12323 times)

Offline SomedayII

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkshaws and Greevys in Aghagower
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 May 11 05:29 BST (UK) »
I too am researching the Hawkshaws of Co. Mayo, specifically those related to William Robert Hawkshaw of Toberrooaun born about 1868. He was my wife's great grandfather who, along with his wife and four children, emigrated to Canada in 1910. They settled in the Calgary area.

According to the 1901 Irish census he was a landholder and  had three houses. One was occupied by his family and the other two by Jane Hawkshaw (age 70) and  Michael Basquil (age 50)

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 June 11 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Someday11,

I think I can help you with that. I quote from page 115 of the book 'Descendants of John Hawkshaw of Louisburgh, Co. Mayo' by Evelyn Hawkshae Rogers:

"Continuing with the early Robert of Ayle, we can account for three children: Ellen b. 1815, Ann who died in 1818 and Henry b. ca 1818.

Henry married Jane Burrowes at Ayle on 1 August, 1853, and they had six children: Eleanor, Anne Jane, Elizabeth, William Robert, Lucy and Henry. Henry, the father, died 18 July, 1891, 'an old miser'. Daughter Eleanor married Robert Nesbitt McAdam, a brother to Susannah McAdam, wife of Robert Evans."

Would that be your William Robert?

Regards,

Ann.

Offline SomedayII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 June 11 18:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Ann,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I definitely think that this is the genealogical link that I've been searching for. In fact, last week I was in Westport, Co. Mayo and was able to see the old house, talk to the family that has owned it since William Robert sold it to them. Regrettably, I'm enroute back to Canada so will have to wait until a future date to return and continue my research.

Here is why I think we're talking about the same person:

On the night of the 1901 census William Robert Hawkshaw was listed as the owner of 3 houses in Toberrrooaun. One of them was occupied by his mother Jane and her 5 year old granddaughter Lucy McAdam.

We have a picture of the family standing in front of their house that was probably taken in 1901.  The location is actually the south east corner of the main intersection in Mace, Co. Mayo. The current owner of the house has a sundial that was inscribed Hawkshaw - Aille 1846

Part of the challenge that we've been having accessing information has been because of inaccuracies in census record entries and online transcription. For instance, my wife's grandmother (William Robert's 3rd child) was incorrectly identified in the census as Eliza Louisa and her brother as Donald.  Her name was actually Emma Lucy and the brother was Oswald.  William's mother is listed online as Hawkhaw and his wife was in Mount Talbot that night with her father William English

The family, which by then included a 4th child Martha, emigrated to Canada in 1910 aboard the Athenia and arrived in Quebec city on May 31st.  They settled outside of Calgary, Alberta. Oswald was killed in World War 1 (1916) shortly after his 18th birthday.

If you would like to correspond more directly, I can be reached at

(*)

Sincerely,

Brian

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline lehill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 February 13 01:18 GMT (UK) »
My 2nd great grandmother was Eleanor Hawkshaw from Mayo, she was a sister of William Robert Hawkshaw.

LH

Offline Katrina Croker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 July 15 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi!
My dad is Theodore Croker, born in Dublin. His dad is John Joseph Croker, born in Westport to Mary Hawkshaw and John Croker. They were married 20.05.1894. John was born 1865 and died 24.04.1900, but I don't know anymore about him! Mary is buried in Aughagower cemetery.

This would mean my grandfather is Lilly's older brother. He was born 02.08.1898. There were 5 children from this marriage. I didn't know my grandfather. My dad didn't know his extended family. He did try to find out about them years ago and we spent many years going to Westport during my childhood.

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 October 16 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Katrina,
I have just seen your post about the Croker connection. We are definitely related! Your grandfather, John Joseph Croker, is the older brother of my grandmother, Lily. That means we share the same great grandparents. I have so much information for you.
Two of your grandad's two sisters, Annie and Kathleen, went to America in the early 1920s. The other sister (Lily - my Nanny) stayed in Ireland and later moved to England. Your grandfather, John, also had a daughter called Phyllis, I believe, who lived in Newry. We saw quite a bit of Phyllis when we were children on holiday in Ireland. My mother remembers your father, Theo. Her name is Marion Corbett.
Our great grandmother, Mary, remarried when John Croker died. Her second husband was Tommy Malynn and they had four more children, making eight for Mary in all.
Do you have an e-mail address for correspondence? I hope to be able to fill in lots of gaps for you. Look at the online census records for 1901 and 1911 for a start. They lived in Altamont Street, Westport.

Many regards, 

Ann.

Offline Katrina Croker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 October 16 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Thank you for replying! I did look at the census and I had known they lived in Altamont St.
I still go to Westport and know people there.
I also remember my dad was friends Vinney Malynn, I alsoet him and his family as a child.
My mam told me a man contacted my dad from America years ago who wanted to meet him but the man died before that happened.
I knew my Dad had an older sister but I don't think they met. I only found this out after he had died. I didn't know her name and my Mam had told me she lived in Dundalk, but I had feeling that was wrong. I had tried to search for her.
 I can't seam to pm you, must be because I have only posted once.
I will do another quick post to see if it works. ☺

Regards
Katrina

Offline Katrina Croker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 October 16 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I found Mary Hawkshaw/ Croker/ Malynn's death notice in one of my searches.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 October 16 01:14 BST (UK) »
They were C of I apparently.

Link to Census to save others having to look for it...
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Aghagewer_South/Teberreeaun/1603741/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.