Author Topic: Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy  (Read 38592 times)

Offline Sugarloaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 September 11 10:46 BST (UK) »
Glad you picked up my message so quickly Ann. Yes, it would be lovely to make better contact. I live in Co. Wicklow and have met Tony a few times over the years. There is always talk of a big Carrigy get together but of course it has never happened.

I'm completely new to this site so don't know how to make contact confidentially. We'll have to figure that one out. You have probably already looked at the Irish 1901 and 1911 census. There you will see the family names including of course Margaret. I remember her with great fondness. We always had a pet name for her, Auntie Baa. We never call her anything else. Don't ask me where that came from.

Look forward to more contact and maybe some of the others will pick up too.

Bye now, Eileen.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 September 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
Once you have three posts you can use the Personal Message system to correspond privately with another Rootschat member - see : http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Esmerelda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 September 11 21:57 BST (UK) »
hah as soon as I saw the name "Sugarloaf" I knew I had to know you, how are you? all good here. I never got mam to tell me any more about the Carrigy's but we moved on to the Lynch gang from her Mothers side who hail from Valentia.

Offline Sugarloaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 September 11 23:02 BST (UK) »
Don't mind those Lynchs. You just stick to the Carrigys and perhaps we can have a get together in Mullingar or Castlepollard next year?

We'll try to get Berney's side, who have been on this site,  in again and not forgetting the Dalys.

Offline Sugarloaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 January 12 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

Its been a while since I looked in here. Am now trying to get the ball rolling about making contact and maybe getting people together in the summer. Delighted that your mum has improved (heard about her from G at Christmas).

Hope all is well with you. Keep in touch.

Bye from Sugarloaf.

Offline street carrigys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 April 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
Seek update on Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy, have researched Carrigy for some 50 years and charting families of same name worldwide. Posting research on ancestor.com with 600 descendants on carrigy tree. John Carney, grandson of Bridget Carrigy, great grandson of James carrigy of Street, county Westmeath.

Offline street carrigys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 May 12 08:01 BST (UK) »
John, Toms son, Ann B, Niamh, and Ann Daly.

Delighted to read ROOTS CHAT and posts for Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy. To John, I met your father Thomas Patrick and also sister Marie, I believe in 1998, also Julia and Ann D same year and drew up tentative chart of family of Peter Carrigy and Ann Murtagh. Family with slight variation confirmed by census data of that family listed in Fraughalstown in 1901 and 1911.
The key to learning the name of Peter Carrigy's  father is Johns posting in January 2009 that his Grandfather came from Garriskill. The Griffiths Valuation record lists a Bernard sharing some 49 acres House, offices and land with Mary Lastly and also two other allotments in Garriskill.
It would seem likely that PETER Carrigy's father was that Bernard and that Peter and Ann's first born was Bernard named after the grandfather. Don't know if this is the same Bernard that I found in the Street Parish Registers at Boherquill.
Ann Murtagh would almost certainly have been born in Fraughalstown with plenty of Murtaghs listed there in Griffiths. The Carrigy/Murtagh, marriage was probably in the Brides Civil parish of Fraughalstown. The Catholic parish is named Turbotstown also now includes Coole and Mayne. The  records dating back to 1777 with some gaps should be found at Coole. Father King is unlikely residing there now.
Hope someone can find record of Baptisms of Ann's siblings and names of parents also entry for her marriage. Keep me posted.
Latest research has been sparked by recent contact with Carrigy relations named Willington in Argentina.

John C, Street

Offline street carrigys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 May 12 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi to all whose origins were Street, Westmeath.
Story on this Mother's Day from Down Under Aus.
My fathers mother told the story of the Carrigy's being the bonesetters. They could cure man or beast. They had the gift of God. In 1956 these stories were similarly exchanged between Paddy Carrigy of Bigfurze near Ballynacarrigy, at the time of my fathers visit from Australia. I was told the same story in 1988 by I think it was Mat Carrigy of Chancery , with considerable detail of one particular curing of a man from Dublin who fell off a roof. He remained a cripple after hospital treatment. He was taken What he called Bonesetters Lane to the Carrigys behind Boherquill Church towards Kiltareher. There bones were rebroken without anaesthetic, then reset and limbs bound.
He returned to Dublin and in due course walked again.
The story was beautifully told by Mat.

Offline Sugarloaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 February 13 16:52 GMT (UK) »
No postings for a long time. Trying to get going again. Any talk of a 'Gathering'?
Sugarloaf